Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Texas Star distance

To the one handed question there are two ways to make the one-handed engagement happen per the rules:

1. Create a situation like holding a rope, bucket or another prop in one hand for the course of the stage or at a particular point in the stage "Briefcase must be carried in the weak hand at or below waist level during the course of fire while engaging targets"

2. It is allowable to specify strong or weak hand only on a medium course of fire (20 shots or less) for the final 6 shots. The challenge is making the last 6 (5 in the case of the star) without restricting freestyle engagement of the stage. At GA state they did this on one stage with 6 poppers and placed them behind a barrier, furthest targets from the start line and with some distance between the poppers and any other targets. It did not specify that the poppers had to be the last targets engaged, just made it to be the least time costly but shooters still had a choice.

I would say practice at 15-20 yards but it will depend on matches in your area or matches you plan to shoot. Minimum distance is 23' to steel but there has to be a movement barrier, 26' minimum with just a fault line.

This is not accurate. The rules (see rule 1.1.5.4) permit both medium or long courses of fire to "stipulate the use of either strong or weak hand provided that only one hand, strong or weak, is specified for no more than the last 6 shots required." For people new to the sport, it is really important that you get the rules right when you offer advice.

• 10 months later...

We had two matches not too long ago that were both at around 20 yards. It can be slow going, but when you run it smooth it feels pretty awesome.

Has anyone shot the Death Star? I haven't but it looks a bit brutal. Correct me if I'm using the wrong term.

I just googled irish plate rack after someone mentioned it. I hadn't seen that one before. that looks pretty nasty if you happen to hit one plate then miss a couple as it really gets some speed up in rotation.

I thought the polish plate rack was bad enough.

yeah, i don't mind the star at all really, we have a 3 row plate rack with circles in front, squares in the middle and triangles in the back. PITA in my opinion, especially when I shoot Limited and the match director decided to run it as a Pro Am style and load everyone to 10 rounds.. lol

I just googled irish plate rack after someone mentioned it. I hadn't seen that one before. that looks pretty nasty if you happen to hit one plate then miss a couple as it really gets some speed up in rotation.

I thought the polish plate rack was bad enough.

Do they call it an Irish plate rack because it drives some folks to drink?

• 2 months later...