Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

RCI one piece mag tube

Headworked

I looked at the RCI xm2be one piece anodized tubes that were on the prize table at the Benelli Rockcastle shotgun match this last weekend. Workmanship looked very good, and I saw several mounted on guns working well.

I had my M1 original tube aligned by Steve Rose at Rose Action Sports last winter, using Kurt Miller's excellent mag jig, and its been shooting slugs like a champ (except stage 6 after I got out of the damn golf cart, and shot at the 105 yard steel 10 times, missing wildly due to hot barrel, heat mirage, and several other excuses..!!). Can the RCI monotube be aligned similarly to keep the alignment relationship to receiver, so it will still shoot slugs well?

The barrel is always clamped to the mag tube by the ring under the barrel at the front of the handguard. Hence, bad integral tube alignment gets you bad slug alignment. That is the whole principle behind Kurt's solution to the Benelli slug problem.

It works like a shoulder thing that goes up, right? Seriously, I wonder if Kurt's tool would work on the RCI adapter that threads into the receiver, the tube screws onto it. Once the adapter is straight, the tube should be too, in theory. When I installed mine I put the adapter in, mag tube on, barrel and forend on and clamped it with the nut, hoping the barrel would move the tube to a happy place and when the Loctite set up everything would be fine. Seemed to work, shoots slugs to the same point of aim as with the factory tube and NC extension.

Unfortunately, Kurt's jig is made for factory length magazine tubes, and this XM2BE is much longer, so his jig wont work with it. I am going to mill up something that does basically the same thing, working from the receiver bore, and keeping the mag tube centerline parallel and all...and able to have an indicator ran down it in 2 planes, to check runout in two directions.

Well feel free, I found you have to hold real close tolerance in the .0005 range and it is a bitch to figure out center line of both bores. Took me a whole lot of work, but then again I'm not so smart, but i did apply for a patent.

Kurt, you dont give yourself enough credit... I think you did an awesome job of designing and engineering the fix you came up with... Hell, folks been bending barrels on trees for years before you came up with some hard numbers and process... very nice work

• 1 month later...

Been putting time into getting a fixture rigged up to align these machined works of beauty to Benelli M2 receivers... Got it finished, and started comparing the fit-up to the stock mag tube, and noticed a small glitch... When installed per instructions, the seating step on tube is .200 short of the dimension that the factory tube step is made to... Looks like I'm goin to have to turn up a small spacer to take up room between RCI mag tube step and barrel locking ring. Anyone else using one of these tubes have similar issue? I called the shop several times, but no answer, just the answering machine, and no room left on recorder to take a message

Edited by Headworked