Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

40 S&W for STI

SWprotected

The fix, either switch to jacketed bullets, ream the throat or seat your cast bullets deeper.

+1 tto this.... I load all my cast at 1.160 and have no problems with them ever. My wife and I run CRP Edges from DP and that seems to be the perfect length for us and lead. This has the bullet hitting the ramp between 1/2 & 3/4 of the way up so no fear of the dreaded U on the lead bullets indicating it's hitting the bottom of the ramp.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all of the replies. I opened a new box of bullets and the last 500 I loaded I had about 150 that I felt did not chamber freely enough. I ordered a sample pack of bullets sized to 0.400" and loaded 100 to see what the difference would be and found they chamber much more reliably. I measured a bunch of the bullets that were supposed to be 0.401" and found them to be 0.402" and some that were slightly over that. Using the coated that are sized smaller or the plated bullets the rounds fit my case gauge and drop freely into the chamber. Now I need to get out and chrono to see what the smaller diameter coated bullets do, I am not sure what to expect from the velocity.