Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Noob from Texas Gulf Coast

cswpsi

Howdy y'all! Mainly here for the reloading topics and to soak up the knowledge & wisdom from everyone here.

Live about 30 mi. SSE of downtown H-town. Live close to (and a member of) an outstanding outdoor NRA shooting club, so I'm able to load and shoot as often as I can find the time.

Right now, 100% auto pistol, but hope to start loading for rifle, as soon as I decide what I want to play with first.

Interested, yes. Ready for competitive shooting, not just yet.

Only been shooting handguns on a regular basis for a year+. Only have a defensive shotgun and no AR.

I'm a new member at PSC and plan to watch a few matches before I decide.

If you've been regularly and safely shooting for over a year, you've got the skills that you need for your first match:

• Load/reload your pistol
  • Aim & fire your pistol
  • Correct malfunctions (tap-rack-bank, or unload-clear-reload)
  • Unload and clear your pistol
  • Hit a 12" target, with 80% of your rounds (most USPSA targets are 18" across, at 15 yards or less (although there may be a few targets that are further or smaller))
  • Safely draw pistol from holster

There are a lot of USPSA/action shooting opportunities in the Houston area. And the barrier to entry is not too excessively high (a Fobus/SERPA/nylon paddle holster is good-enough for your first few matches). The shooters that are very good can hit their targets while running from Point A to Point B. Us not-quite-as-good folks hit their targets at Point A, walk to Point B, then hit their targets at Point B.

Bring your pistol, magazines, ammo and holster when you go to "watch a few matches". It's much more fun to watch the match while looking through your pistol sights, than to watch from the sidelines. ;)

Interested, yes. Ready for competitive shooting, not just yet.

Only been shooting handguns on a regular basis for a year+. Only have a defensive shotgun and no AR.

I'm a new member at PSC and plan to watch a few matches before I decide.

Edited by Golden Bear

Thanks for the encouragement, Golden Bear. That's a good list. I'll be looking closely at the schedules and will definitely consider joining in on the fun.

It is true, doing something is the best teacher.

Here is the calendar for Texas South Section http://texassouthsection.com/jtssblazes/tss-clubs-and-scores/tss-calendar

On June 8, there is a steel challenge match at PSC. That may be a great introduction for you into the world of practical shooting

June 17 is the USPSA match for the club Bay Area Practical Shooters (same club that puts on the steel challenge match I mentioned). It's one heck of a match, also at PSC.

You should be far from the Greenwood match either. I'm with everyone else, jump right in!

Typical conversation after a shooting buddy's first USPSA/IDPA/action shooting match:

"Man, that was a blast!! Why didn't you tell me about this earlier?!?"

"I did, many times, for months. You spent the time "getting ready". I've been shooting matches and having fun."

Jump in. The water's fine.