Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Question about Steel Challenge Classifications

donquixote

As I understand the classification system ranks you on the best times of 6 stages from an match. Is this correct?

If that is the case, does that mean that once a level of classification is reached, you can never go down in Classification?

Also, what happens if you have not shot all 6 stages. Say the first tiem you shoot a steel challenge and they do not have all 6 of the classifying stages? Does that mean that you do not get ranked ?

Thanks in advance.

For stages that you've shot your best time is used so if you shoot Smoke and Hope at 10:00 this month and 11:00 next month your time doesn't change. If at the next match you shoot it in 9.5 then your time of 9.5 will be used.

For stages you haven't shot yet a default of 30 seconds per string (120 seconds for 5 string stages and 90 seconds for 4 string stages) is used until you've shot the stage and then your time is adjusted accordingly. If you look up my classification (A46578) you'll see a time of 120 for outer limits. That's technically a bug on the web site as the time should be 90 since outer limits uses best 3 of 4 strings.

When you first get classified if you haven't shot all of the stages you'll likely get classified as SU which means you total time for all stages is greater than 500 seconds. Once your total time is less than or equal to 500 seconds you'll be classified as Steel D, once it drops below 200 you'll be Steel C and so forth.

Zack: outer limits and speed option are not used for classification purposes becuase they require the largest amount of space to setup so the decision was made not to use them to allow the maximum number of clubs to shoot stages for classification purposes ...

The other six stages are used as you describe ... Once you shoot each of the other stages at least once you'll get a 'real' classification.

Also, there currently is no classification for rimfire ...

So what classification will these times earn me?

Pendulum 16.81

Five to go 14.74

Speed option 15.88

Showdown 13.41

Roundabout 12.68

Outer limits 16.53

Accelerator 13.75

Smoke and hope 12.03

Pendulum 16.81

Five to go 14.74

Speed option 15.88

Showdown 13.41

Roundabout 12.68

Outer limits 16.53

Accelerator 13.75

Smoke and hope 12.03

If you add the 6 classification stages you get 83.42 which is less than 85 but more than 75 so that would be Class A. Correct?

Pendulum 16.81

Five to go 14.74

Speed option 15.88

Showdown 13.41

Roundabout 12.68

Outer limits 16.53

Accelerator 13.75

Smoke and hope 12.03

If you add the 6 classification stages you get 83.42 which is less than 85 but more than 75 so that would be Class A. Correct?

Correct.

currently there is only one classification ... it does not matter which center fire division you shoot (open, limited, production, etc) it's all the same ...

I'm hoping they will add a rim fire classification system before too long as well .....

currently there is only one classification ... it does not matter which center fire division you shoot (open, limited, production, etc) it's all the same ...

I'm hoping they will add a rim fire classification system before too long as well .....

Agreed. I shot CF Production and CF Open in our last match and lowered my times on most stages with the open gun. I'd prefer to see it split like it is for USPSA classifications. Supposedly rimfire classifications are in the works as well so I tell everyone to shoot and make sure have their USPSA number so they'll eventually get some sort of rimfire classification down the road.