Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recoil spring para p14-45

jstagn

After my new para was broke-in (1k+ rounds), I replaced the stock recoil spring with a Wilson 12lb. Recoil was less and gun shot perfect for over 2k rounds. Last time I shot put 1 full mag 16-17 rounds shot great, reloaded and shot 3-5 times (don't remember) and gun failed to go into full battery. Dropped mag inserted new same problem. cleared gun put in another mag still failed to go into full battery. Stopped shooting cleared gun, worked slide (empty gun) looked down barrel could not see anything. Loaded gun shot over 100 rounds all OK. Ammo was all chambered check even shot some of offending ammo, no problem. Another shooter suggested that a 12lb. spring was a little on the weak side for a 2011 45acp. Any thoughts???i

I know it's a rough estimate of recoil spring strength, but I like my brass to land about 4 to 6 feet, some say 6 to 8 feet. 12# sounds a little light, I'd try a 14#. The hesitation you're feeling is probably the barrel locking up (like it's supposed to do). Once you get those locking lugs a little more worn in, you can probably go back to a lighter spring.

Thanks, its not a hesitation it was not even close to locking, At least a 1/16" + short of locking up. But I will try a 13 or 14. When I looked at the Wilson package that the 12lb. came in, it said to replace every 2k rounds mine probably had 3k.

Another shooter suggested that a 12lb. spring was a little on the weak side for a 2011 45acp.

FWIW, I've been using either 11 or 12 lb. springs in my 14-45 since 2001. I put a couple thousand rounds a year through it, I've only had a handful of failures to go into battery - maybe 4 in all, and I can trace all of those to excess bullet lube on the case (lead bullets). Haven't had any jacketed bullets fail to lock up. I'm not saying it's your ammo, just saying a 12 lb. spring ought to do the job nicely. Something else is likely coming into play.

Edited by Jeff Matzka

Jeff, you are 1000% correct. When I took the gun apart the barrel bushing had a hairline crack in it. Just to be on the safe side a put a 13 wolf progressive and a new Wilson bushing to see how it fires tomorrow........ How often do you change your 11/12 lb spring (round count)?

PS. I use xtreme 230gr plated bullets, no lead. THANKS to all......Joe

How often do you change your 11/12 lb spring (round count)?

PS. I use xtreme 230gr plated bullets, no lead.

Joe, I don't really keep an accurate round count for spring replacement. I usually do it every year to year and a half. I'm guessing there's probably around 3000 to 4000 rounds in that time between practice and matches, as I'm not an extremely active shooter. I've never really had one get worn to the point where I could tell a difference in performance. I just replace them when I feel like it's time. I use mostly 200 gr LSWC's, but sometimes 230 gr FMJ's, and occasionally 250 gr. LSWC's. I really like the way the heavier bullets feel recoil-wise, but I tend to stick to the 200 gr. because they seem to shoot flatter - which can make a huge difference on the occasional long (35 yd) popper.

• 5 weeks later...

12.5# ISMI in my fairly new P14.45, less than 1000 rounds so far at 170PF. With factory spring it was closing too early and 1 or 2 out of every 100 would catch between the hood and the breech face. They would all get kicked out, but cause a feeding failure and the brass would have a nice gouge in it. I tried a 14# and had the same problem, but less often. 12.5# and it has gone away. Once everything wears and smooths out the 14# may be okay, but I can get faster splits with the 12.5#. I still have to check the ejector though, that may have been part of the problem.

• 2 weeks later...