Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Would you camp for a match and how much would you pay?

I own a wooded property less than 5 minutes from Universal Shooting Academy in Frostproof. Would you camp during a match and if so, how much would you reasonably pay to do so?

A bit more on the property:

• Very close to USA
  • It has its own shooting bay 18 yards wide - 36 yards deep
  • 300 yard rifle shooting area
  • There is a bath house with a full shower and full size toilet
  • Camping site would have access to electric
  • Camping site would have access to BBQ grill, picnic tables, etc.
  • Camping site has a playground with swings and trampoline and a treehouse
  • There is room for one RV hookup with 30 amp power, water, and septic

So the question is: would you consider camping out for a match and how much would you reasonably pay:

1) For a primitive camping spot

2) For the RV spot

I am trying to understand the market dynamics to gauge whether it would make any financial sense to offer this option to the shooting market.

BTW, I spoke to some officials for the World Shoot and they pretty much said it was too unconventional of a property for them to work with. If used for the World Shoot, I would make available 3 RV spots instead of just 1.

As one that regularly 'camps' for a match...

I have camped on the Range and nearby to the Range. Camping with 30amp service, water and sewer, probably $25 a night. Use of the range area for practice, I'd add maybe $15 a night.

in my experience, 25-35 bucks is the going rate in my area for electric hook up sites. look at any nearby koa for price comps or even the state parks web site in your area. you should probably be less than them, but you could charge for practice range access.....

I'd pay $30 a night for a primitive site with access to the range, CLEAN SHOWERS. But, not in the summer here in FL. Hotel AC is good for the soul after a long day in the FL sun pasting and setting steel.

As one who has camped twice at 2 different parks for matches at USA, I LOVE the idea of a campground (cg) closer to the place. I have stayed at Lake Kissimmee SP and River Ranch. River is EXPENSIVE, but has plenty of amenities. Lake Kiss is nice, but my new 44' long 5th wheel toy hauler is too big to get in there.

Lake Worth has other cg options, but several are junkie, sites too small, or 55+, which I am not. There are a few further out that I can fit and are Passport America (half price) member cgs.

What I look for is a long enough site (pull thru preferred but not a deal breaker), full hookups (preferred, but water & electric (50 amp) and a dump station are o.k.), pet friendly, and not too expensive. $30 a night in that area is about it for me unless there are amenities like fishing, boating, etc in the cg.

Add $5 a day for range use if I have to bring my own targets. If you have a few Steel Challenge or other targets available for use, make it an extra $10 a day.

Jim -

Is that camping in a tent or in an RV?

RV, I suppose it really isn't 'camping' when you have all the amenities of home and more.

Camping for a match is great, often much closer than a hotel, often also less costly than flying, hotel, all meals out, car rental, etc. For me it is also a lot more relaxing.

I wonder whether you could make your shooting range an attraction by itself.

Set up a chronograph. Get some steel in place. Make it available for sighting in and warming up.

Edited by alma

Part of the costs (maybe even property taxes) MIGHT be tax deductible as a business expense on federal taxes.

BTW, IIRC USA has bays set aside for Steel Challenge competitors to warm up..