Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38 Long Colt Data

rwmagnus

Anybody know a reference source for the 38 Long Colt cartridge or have some load data available?

I haven't decided on a bullet weight yet but it will be FMJ or plated. It will most likely be a lighter bullet. I do have some 158gr plated that I could use as testers however. It only needs to be a 120 power factor. I usually use Titegroup or Clays for my reloads but others powders are fine.

I'm planning to use it in ICORE matches in a S&W 627 V-Comp.

I use 4.2 gr Universal Clays with a 130 gr Montana Gold RN Fed 100 in a .38 COLT SHORT at 1.100" OAL for a good Steel Challenge, IPSC, ICORE load. They are short and load faster but I can also shoot 9 stages without touching a brush to my guns. This is @ 1125 fps out of my 5" bbl 627. I never found a use for the .38 Long Colt and I have barrels of .38 Special that I used for years in PPC but stay with this load in my Model 66 2-1/2" as well as my 686 6" bbl

I use 4.2 gr Universal Clays with a 130 gr Montana Gold RN Fed 100 in a .38 COLT SHORT at 1.100" OAL for a good Steel Challenge, IPSC, ICORE load. They are short and load faster but I can also shoot 9 stages without touching a brush to my guns. This is @ 1125 fps out of my 5" bbl 627. I never found a use for the .38 Long Colt and I have barrels of .38 Special that I used for years in PPC but stay with this load in my Model 66 2-1/2" as well as my 686 6" bbl

My concern with the 38 Short Colt cartridge was the distance to the forcing cone. Any validity there (causing extra wear)? I thought the 38 Long Colt would be a compromise between the two. Still testing different ammo to find what I like best. I also have tons of 38 spcl mixed head stamp good for plinking I guess. I use Starline for my competition guns.

How do you like the Universal Clays? Is it similar to Clays or Titegroup in cleanliness?

Moving this thread over to Reloading (38/9mm), leaving a link in Revolver

The Hodgdon Annual (the magazine-looking thing) has data for both the Short and Long 38 Colt. None are anything close to 125 PF. (the highest in the LC is 116 PF, and SC goes to a whopping 105).

The case volume of the SC looks similar to 9x19, and LC is a bit bigger than 38 Super so there may be something you can use there, but the pressure max they list for the SC is 7300 CUP which is way, way below starting for those. Is the brass built to take it?