Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Mounting a Dillon 1050 on a table

Guys,

I have a Dillon 650 Strong-mounted on a beautiful workbench built by a friend of mine.

I am considering getting a Dillon 1050.

Does the 1050 mount to the workbench on the same pattern of holes as a Strong-Mounted Dillon 650?

I know this seems a like a really silly question, but the workbench I have is a piece of art and I don't want to put lots of holes in it! This will tell me if perhaps I should get a second, less beautiful workbench.

Many thanks!

Thanks, Al. Also--how much taller or shorter is the 1050 vs. the strong mounted 650? By height, I mean distance from the center of the Reloading arm where it rotates. I am going to have to build a new bench and need to know how tall to make it!

Thanks again, Al. To those of you who have both a 650 and a 1050........how many inches lower or higher is your 650 bench (including strong mount and any shims, etc) vs. your 1050 bench (assuming your 650 & 1050 are at the optimal heights for you)?

build your bench so your belt buckle would be at the top. I read this "formula" for building benches a few years ago and its worked well for the 3 benches I have built since then. My benches are all at 36.5" basically(4x4 posts cut to 35" with a double 3/4" MDF top). Im 5'9" and my belt buckle hits right around 36".

The 1050 handle can adjust about +- 1" from the center hole.

PANO_20140227_114049.jpg

That height has worked well on the manual crank 1050 for 20k some odd rounds so far. Very comfortable height. I have the handle at its lowest position.

If you are building a bench specific to this press, no need to get any kind of "strong mount" IMO. The 1050 is strong enough as is. Just build the bench right height to start with.

I had to notch mine for the handle to clear, but I wanted it set back a little from the edge.