Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9 major/minor in Glock with Longshot ?

Curse13

I just chrono'd some Longshot loads with 115s @ 1.150" (you should be able to load that long in your Glock):

- 7.7gr - 154pf

- 7.9gr - 160pf

- 8.2gr - 162pf

- 8.4gr - 165pf

My CZ Open gun weighs 52oz, has a 5.1" barrel and 8.4 felt pretty nuts; I wouldn't recommend going that high in your Glock, I'll bet it feels like it's coming apart with 7.5gr :surprise:

From what I've heard, you can't cram enough Longshot into a 9mm to make 9 Major, and even if you could, beyond a certain level you start getting lots of unburnt powder, and no measurable increase in velocity. IMHO, Longshot simply isn't a good Open Major powder.

I'll agree there are much better options for 9Major; at 8.4gr there was a lot of noise, a big fireball and general unpleasentness :) all to only achieve 165pf?!? I've pushed 115s to 181pf with both HS6 and SP2, both were pussycats by comparison.

I got a pound of long shot in trade just to play with, but I think I'll load up the rest for steel at about 150pf.

Edited by kneelingatlas

Thanks for the info guys. i just put together an open Glock to play around with and can't find any powder just like everyone else. Was able to get a hold of a pound of Longshot to play with and was seeing what info was out there for Major and Minor loads.

Guess that is why i could find little to no info on it. Think i will just work up some steel loads. I'm shooting the Pro Am so will need to be able to knock steel down.

i'm loading 124 MG CMJ at 1.150. Should I start out around 6.5gr or higher/lower? I have limited access to a chrono right now so I dont't want to waist time loading test batch to low or high.

Any input would be great.

G17/ KKM/ Carver 5 port

• 3 months later...