Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Trojan 9mm N320 + 124 gr MG CMJ or 135 gr Bayou Bullet

Red Ryder

Anyone have any experience with this combo,Trojan 9mm + N320 + 124 gr MG CMJ or 135 Grain Bayou bullet? I would like to make 135 PF. I am not having good luck. I am using a 9lb recoil spring. What works in my G34 is not cycling the slide reliably in the Trojan.

First off, what weight of powder are you using? I use titegroup in my loads, which is similar to N320 in charge weights. Using 4gr titegroup, and 124 gr MG FMJ, I'm getting 128 PF. And it cycles just fine with the stock 10lb recoil spring.

I was running an 8# spring in my Trojan. My chrono was a little slow 3.7 would probably put you around 130pf

Caliber Powder Weight Bullet Brand Weight O,A.L Primer Gun Avg Vel ES SD Power Factor 9mm VV N-320 3.7 Bayou 135 1.150 CCI Trojan 934 26 11 126.1

I was running an 8# spring in my Trojan. My chrono was a little slow 3.7 would probably put you around 130pf

Caliber Powder Weight Bullet Brand Weight O,A.L Primer Gun Avg Vel ES SD Power Factor

9mm VV N-320 3.7 Bayou 135 1.150 CCI Trojan 934 26 11 126.1

Yep. This load won't cycle the slide reliably. Maybe if I get the PF up closer to 135?

Edited by Red Ryder

When you say it won't cycle the slide reliably, where's the problem? Extraction, feeding, going into battery, etc. Problem may not be ammo. I'm down to 3.8gr titegroup, and have no problem with stock spring. You may be running too light a spring.

And is the mainspring stock weight?

Edited by Postal Bob

When you say it won't cycle the slide reliably, where's the problem? Extraction, feeding, going into battery, etc. Problem may not be ammo. I'm down to 3.8gr titegroup, and have no problem with stock spring. You may be running too light a spring.

And is the mainspring stock weight?

The problem is extraction only. I have only tried 3.6 and 3.7 grains of N320 with 135gr Bayou bullet. 9 lb main spring. stock wt is 12 lbs. Goes into battery fine, when it doesn't stove pipe. Stove pipes and failure of the slide to come back far enough to strip the next round off the mag. Stock spring made it a single shot. 10lb spring improved some. 8 lb spring caused the slide not to return to battery occasionally. So I will stay with a 9lb recoil spring. I plan on trying 3.8 and 3.9 grains of N320 with a 135lb Bayou Bullet at 1.135 and chrono. 131 PF wasn't reliable enough for competition. I don't do failures well.

I shoot a glock 17 and a Glock 34. They feed and shoot all kinds of loads without issues. The 1911 platform seems more touchy. I am frustrated. I was hoping for a load that would work in both guns. This spring think is bugging me. I may get a light recoil master and restart this load work up process.

It sounds like something is causing the slide to drag coming back. My Trojan stock shoots 128pf with no issues at all. Btw, I was told the stock recoil in mine is 10lb, not 12lb. And I just bought it. But either way my gun is ejecting shells firmly that are just a little over minor pf. Maybe the problem is the mainspring, not recoil spring, being too heavy. That would cause more resistance to the slide coming back. I was told by STI that the stock mainspring in mine is 15lb.

And the problem could also be mag related. If the spring in the mags pushing up the rounds is too heavy, it'll put pressure on the bottom of the slide as it moves back. Usually this occurs with a full mag when spring pressure is greatest, and then decreases as there are less rounds in the mag.

FWIW, I also use the same loads in my Glock 17 too. But I've found the 1911 easier to get to shoot right than the Glock.

Throwing some other ideas out there, as I have no idea as to your experience shooting 1911's. Is the gun broken in yet? Most 1911's need about 500 rds to break in. During that time you may experience lots of jams and ftf's. I was lucky, in that my Trojan was cycling my relaods right from the start. And are you lubing the gun enough? I ask this because you say you shoot the Glock, which normally requires minimum oil. But a 1911 needs more, especially if it's still being broken in. A tight fitting slide, running dry, is going to give you headaches. I find Mobil 1 ideal for lubing guns.

The only other 1911 I own is a Les Baer TRS which ran flawlessly from the first round fired. I do know that it could be mag related like mag spring pressure. I know that 9mm 1911 mags produce a very high spring pressure that could be slowing down the slide. The gun is "tight" also. I have about 1000 rounds through it. I oil it the anti Glock way - heavily. Like I said, I've lightened the recoil spring 12 to 8 and I chose the 9lb. I am still working up loads. 4.3 Grains of 7625 at 1.150 with a 135 bayou Bullet are functioning well..... and the load data continues.