Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

any benefit from a G35 lightened slide ?

sigsauerfan

i'm trying to get a flatter shooter out of my 35,and wonder if it worth it. i reload and shoot major at 170pf. yes,i went through all the threads about lightened slides on glocks, but found that there's no real consensus in the community about the benefits extracted.

some say the gun is then more violent on recoil ,however with less muzzle flip !!! how's that possible?

i understand that with less weight on the slide, slide is moving faster,then maybe induces more horizontal recoil, but the whole action of the muzzle flipping up-down is faster.

i also wonder if the cuts location on the slide affect the whole balance of the gun ; is it better getting the cuts more centered on the slide,or toward the front for less muzzle flip??

did i miss something??

Edited by sigsauerfan

I've never shot a lightened 35 but I have shot my stock 24 and my friends lightened Zev slides back to back. The best way I can describe it is that the recoil changed from a push to a snap.

I didn't like it enough to spend a bunch of money on the cuts and refinishing.

Its hard to get a consensus on stuff like this because everyone likes something different....

I've never shot a lightened 35 but I have shot my stock 24 and my friends lightened Zev slides back to back. The best way I can describe it is that the recoil changed from a push to a snap.

I didn't like it enough to spend a bunch of money on the cuts and refinishing.

Its hard to get a consensus on stuff like this because everyone likes something different....

ok...so , if i understand correctly, a snap is a faster recoil impulse,which imply less power in the pulse of the muzzle lifting .

Edited by sigsauerfan

You'll most likely have to move to a lighter recoil spring since there will be less mass to move.

yes, i know.i already have a 13 in it for my low pf loads. i have many ismi recoil springs of all calibers in my tool box.

i was settled to do the job right this afternoon, but i delayed the move waiting for more answers from first hand experienced users .there's no going back ,once it's done i'll have to live with it.

Edited by sigsauerfan

The major benefit is you CAN run a much lighter recoil spring since there is less mass to move back into battery but you don't have to. You also will find that less slide mass can result in less muzzle flip. I would shoot a properly tuned one I think you'll like it.

The major benefit is you CAN run a much lighter recoil spring since there is less mass to move back into battery but you don't have to. You also will find that less slide mass can result in less muzzle flip. I would shoot a properly tuned one I think you'll like it.

i already runs a lighter spring for my low PF ammo in this gun. i have 11 lbs -13-15 spring to try if ever i'm going forward with the project.

..i'm tempted, but i can't get a clear idea of what a snap VS stronger recoil really feels like.

consensus seems to be that once lightened, the up-down action of the muzzle is faster,and the rearward recoil of the slide is somehow more violent. i know i could live with a snapier muzzle flip if the front returns down faster for quicker follow shots.

i try to get a hand on a 35 with slide cuts to get a first hand experience. if i like it, i'm gonna get the job done in a blink.

I don't think there's a clear consensus any more than with vanilla vs chocolate, it's about preference and feel. Here's the best thread I've seen on the matter: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=183028

Since the G35 already has the big coffin cut, I think taking more weight out of the front would be a mistake, if any I would remove metal from the rear of the slide. If you want your G35 to feel like a G34, I don't think it's going to happen; the real question is: what are you looking for? soft and pleasant or violent and fast?

I don't think there's a clear consensus any more than with vanilla vs chocolate, it's about preference and feel. Here's the best thread I've seen on the matter: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=183028

Since the G35 already has the big coffin cut, I think taking more weight out of the front would be a mistake, if any I would remove metal from the rear of the slide. If you want your G35 to feel like a G34, I don't think it's going to happen; the real question is: what are you looking for? soft and pleasant or violent and fast?

hey ,thanks kneelingatlas for the cue. cha-lee's thread has the infos i was looking for. as i suspected,the cuts location on the slide has more to see with the balance of the recoil and muzzle flip than anything else. then it's all a matter of testing recoil springs to see what is the best combo.

on the G35, i think i'm gonna do 3 cuts each side near the ejection port,like midway of the total lenght of the slide,then will see what i can do on the rear end . i must decide where the rear can be worked out before performing the cuts properly. from what i can understand , removing weight mid lenght of the slide serves nothing if i don't work the rear end as well.

Edited by sigsauerfan