Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6.8spc

ghost21

Anyone have any experience with this round , My brother is on the verge of trading for an AR chambered in this caliber. It is a new round to him and he is not familiar with it. About the only thing we do know is it is based on a 30-30 case.

Any info on availability of components would also be helpful !

Thanks

Jeff

Go over to 6.8 forums. Tons of info there.

It's based off of the 30 rem case not the 30/30.

More power then a 5.56. Only changes are barrel, bolt, mag. Great deer round. Fantastic hog round. Has a large offering of hunting bullets to choose from. Only target bullets it has is a 115smk, 110 smk.

Depending on what you want it for it is a great round.

Does well out of short barrels.

Drink Water! Buy Ammo!

I have two that I built from ar15 performance barrels. Ar15 performance barrels are melonited and both of mine are extremely accurate.

From ar15 performance;

The 6.8

The 6.8X43 was developed as an improved CQB cartridge by the 5th Group Special Forces. The devasting performance combined with the AR15 makes it the #1 choice of hog and deer hunters .

It has apx 80% of the performance of the 308 in a much lighter platform.

We have designed a 5 groove hybrid rifling similar to 5R with a low land to groove ratio to increase the bore area and lessen bullet deformation which leads to better accuracy. We have found that our 5R Melonite QPQ barrels consistently produce 60-90fps more than most SPCII 10 and 11 twist 4 groove barrels with the same loads. Hornady's 110gr HPBTs reach 2600fps from our 16" barrels and normally shoot under 3/4" groups at 100yds. With better shooters groups are near 1/2" so they shoot better than some high dollar stainless barrels and most match grade 5.56s . Hornady's 120gr SST and Federal's Fusion 115gr work very well on deer and hogs. With handloads it is possible to push a 100gr Nosler to 3000fps from a 16" barrel, nothing else with a 16" barrel comes close to the performance of a 6.8.

The 4150 11595E steel Melonite(QPQ) treated barrels we sell will last twice as long as stainless barrels and the final finish meets or exceeds stainless steel corrosion resistance. Stainless barrels .980" in diameter do not meet the 2:1 burst/hoop strength safety ratio required by the firearms industry standards in anything larger than the 5.56. We only use the stronger 4150 11595 E barrel steel in all of our barrels.

The 6.8SPCII and 6.8x43 we use shoot the same ammo including SSAs Tac loads and Wilson Combats ammo uses the same size dies, only the throat in the chamber is different.

Brass is expensive and so is the ammo but with 110 vmax and h322 I get good velocity and tight groups.

Enjoy

Edited by Nugget

It Is great for medium range out to 200 or so. After that it starts falling dramatically. If that works for you good deal. If wanting to shoot to 5 or 600 the 6.5 grendel is much better in my opinion.

I take it to 800 regularly. As for hunting 300 is fine. I am not sure where your info but it is incorrect. Yes the Grendel is designed for longer ranges. But the spc is not a 200yard cartridge.

Drink Water! Buy Ammo!