Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para P14 upgrades?

ihocky2

I picked up my new Para P14.45 Expert on Friday and ran 100 rounds through it so far. I am happy with the function so far and love the feel of it. As with all of my guns, it is time to start smoothing up the action and I have a few other areas I am unsure of which way to go. I am definitely dropping in some ISMI and Ed Brown competition weight springs for the main spring and sear spring. I am also ripping out the Series 80 safety parts.

The main place I am not sure how to proceed yet is the recoil system. I know it is an 18lb. recoil spring which I want to reduce. What do most run in their .45's, or better yet what is the lowest weight you would recommend that won't batter the frame too much. I run an 11lb. in my 9mm 1911. I am also used to the full length guide rods, this Para uses a short guide rod that leaves the spring basically floating with a capped guide rod plug. Not knowing enough about this system, is it a good system or should I just replace it with a full length guide rod and the correct plug for it?

I thought the correct .45 recoil spring for a full size 1911 was 15# for standard load, but that's just my memory.

I prefer FLGRs for a variety of reasons, some people think the stubby design is OK. The other part which was junk on my new para 1640 was the extractor.

To prevent frame battering there are dual spring rate systems that stop the slide from hitting the frame. I like those.

Edited by bountyhunter