Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Decapping live primer

syme71

:o Having worked at Dillon for over 20 years now, I have heard and seen almost everything that can go wrong while reloading. I have had one customer that discharged a 45ACP cartridge while reseating a primer that hadn't been seated properly. Powder(W231 in this instance) had leaked into the primer pocket thru the flash hole, taking up the room where the primer was supposed to go. Reseating the primer compressed the anvil into the priming compound, causing the primer, and everything above it to go boom! In this instance no one was hurt, but the size die was blown out of the top of the frame(RL450).

I know of at least six or seven commercial loaders that have suffered various degrees of eyesight and bodily damage due to depriming live primers. the problem is not when A primer goes off, the problem is when the solitary primer that goes off sets off the 327 other deprimed live primers that have accumulated in the spent primer cup. This much shrapnel shatters even safety plastic, ignites the full primer pickup tubes setting on the bench, blows live primers under your skin (priming compound is very toxic ), sets the garage on fire, causes cateracts, sets shop aprons on fire, and lots of other mean, nasty stuff.

At a minimum, dump the spent primers out of the cup, and fill the cup with water. That way any flash won't reach any other live primers in the cup.

BTW, don't store powder on a shelf above the top of the primer magazine, and don't install flourescent lights directly over your reloader. :ph34r:

(lecture mode OFF)

Publishing a small pamphlet (shiped with reloading manuals) detailing incidents, dangerous practices, and the outcomes might prevent some folks from wandering off the path of safe practice.

But I suspect lawyers would nix this idea.

BB

I figured I would revive this old one to see if anyone would have a different opinion on trying to save primers...

Now that they are 3 cents a piece...instead of 2 cents a piece?

I figured the fact that we were having trouble finding them...

Not how much they cost...

I figured I would revive this old one to see if anyone would have a different opinion on trying to save primers...

Now that they are 3 cents a piece...instead of 2 cents a piece?

I figured the fact that we were having trouble finding them...

Not how much they cost...

I have to admit I have done it and got away with out any trouble, but I am not going to continue after reading this post :surprise: