Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shaving bullet when seating

I have a 1050 and lately I have been having issues with shaving the plating off of my bullets when seating. I am using 147 xtremes, all Dillion 9mm dies. I assumed it was that I did not have enough bell, so I fixed that ,but the problem if anything got worse. It is as if it is not really shaving the plating but instead pushing it up when seating. Any thoughts?

Who and how was your brass prepped? I have seen this happen with bulk once fired brass sources that tumble in a big cement tumbler. The case mouths get kinda banged up and there are lots of burrs, which then catch the bullet/coating when seating.

I use range brass and tumble it myself. I have been doing it the same way for 3 years and only recently has it become an issue. I have tried 2 different dillon seating dies with no difference.

You may need to run the swage backup die down a bit further. A 147 gr bullet , unless boat-tailed, seats very deep in the case. I suspect running this die down further, which expands the inside of the case, might reduce this occurance.

I have a 1050 and lately I have been having issues with shaving the plating off of my bullets when seating. I am using 147 xtremes, all Dillion 9mm dies. I assumed it was that I did not have enough bell, so I fixed that ,but the problem if anything got worse. It is as if it is not really shaving the plating but instead pushing it up when seating. Any thoughts?

I use X-tremes and find the plating to be pretty hard. What do you mean by "pushing it up when seating"? Can you give a clearer definition or pic.

I saw Dillon's reply and I don't think because a 147 seats deeper it it causing the problem. How are you determining the problem? pulling a bullet after you seat it? Are you breaking the plate to bullet? If this is happening then your crimp is way to tight.

I will try to post a pic. It happens at the seating stage and the shaving is pretty dramatic some of the time. I am not sure how it happens with such a large bell. You can see the copper piled up around the case mouth and the bullet would never seat in my gun even with a very small amount of shaving. The last stage is a FCD and has always worked very well.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got things working properly. Interestingly, I was belling the cases too much. Over time, the bell was getting larger and I did not notice it, then the shaving kept getting worse. I assumed I needed more bell and it got worse again. I finally figured out that as the bell got bigger, it was getting compressed as the case went into the seating die and shaved the bullet. I decreased the bell markedly and all is well now.