Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Red dot on Limited Pro

gerritm

If I took the rear sight out is there any adapter or red dot that would go back into the dove tail without too much hassle so I could go back to the rear sight if I wanted to? I shoot 3-gun open class and use my Limited Pro 9mm as my back up and it would be nice to have a red dot installed.

gerritm

Gerrit,

My son (Will) and I are shooting 3-gun open using open Tanfos. We built open top ends for two pistols using compact slides and full size barrels. We're using old Tasco Optimas for sights, but we milled the slides and mounts to fit.

JP has a bunch of different bases for the JPoint mount (that also fit the Optima). Depending on which sight you have, one of their bases might fit the sight cut and give you an easy back up. Of course, knocking out the rear sight and installing the base for the red dot is more gunsmithing than I'd like to do between stages.

OTOH, you could put together a whole open top end for not a whole lot of money.

post-1030-0-56065200-1397094947_thumb.jp

Cheers,

Kelly

Edited by jkmccoy

If I took the rear sight out is there any adapter or red dot that would go back into the dove tail without too much hassle so I could go back to the rear sight if I wanted to? I shoot 3-gun open class and use my Limited Pro 9mm as my back up and it would be nice to have a red dot installed.gerritm

Yes, if you are interested in a mout for an optima (yes the post above was my father) JP does make a mount for an optima that you probably could modify pretty easily to fit the limited pro. However this is secondhand information. The only information I have on putting red dots on witnesses comes from us machining our own sights and (modifying) bases. Which doesn't do much good for the lpa super sight cut.

Edited by george76904

We just finished putting a Cheely RTS2 Mount on a Witness Limited. Used the blank version and cut holes to fit the frame. Turned out great!

Pictures? Not sure what you mean by cut holes to fit the frame.

thanks, gerritm

The customer took the gun, so I don't have pics. You can purchase a Cheely mount without the mounting screw holes drilled in it. That way, you can drill and tap screw holes to match the mounting holes on the Tanfolgio frame.

The lim pro doesn't have frame holes though. so you'd have to drill and tap the frame too. that 'may' be a problem if you wanted to shoot it with the iron sights in something like USPSA production. but otherwise it would be fine.

Checked out the Cheely mounts and that is not the way I wanted to go. I don't want to drill and tap the frame. This gun is hard chrome and I wanted something simple to go into the dove tail where I could maybe modify the mount but not the actual dovetail on the slide. I would like to keep the slide and frame original in case I want to go back to shooting USPSA limited.I like JKMCOY's idea, but was hoping someone had a definite mount they used. Maybe I will just get a 9mm match and use the slide and barrel and make a dedicated upper.

gerritm