Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sizing 300 AAC

thl

Rifle is Noveske N4, dillon 550 press with Lee ? dies set to slightly cam over. Fired cases measure around 1.0830 from case head to datum line ( lnl headspace gauge insert B). Factory ammo I have measured is about 1.0650. I was sizing my brass down to about 1.0720 which chambered fine ( rifle was clean) but the shoulder would get bumped back to 1.0685 consistently just by chambering.

Do I size my cases based on data from fired rounds or on the shoulder bump I get from chambering and why is there such a big discrepancy? Maybe Bolt face getting pushed back that far until the lugs lock up completely with barrel extension when gun is fired? So far I haven't had evidence of either case head separation or had to knock out a stuck round but I haven't got it truly filthy yet either.

Edited by thl

How is the shoulder being bumped back to 1.0685 when chambering if fired rounds measure 1.0830? That doesn't seem to make sense. If you use a bump gage to measure fired brass then move it back a couple of thousandths it should chamber without problem.