Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Benelli Jam Issue - flat on the lifter

Blue Jacket

I have had this intermittent issue with my Benelli M2 about once every 50 rounds a round will get stuck flat on the lifter and jam. The fired round is extracted, but the unfired round is flat on the lifter and stuck. The bolt doesn't close and I am not sure if it rides over the the rim of the case or not. It wasn't jammed at an angle as I have seen others post about.

I think I had to pull the bolt back and push up on the lifer to get the round to chamber. Hard to remember on the clock.

It happened twice at the Tarheel 3 Gun this weekend and I would just like to get it fixed.

I don't think it is the ammo. It happened with AA this weekend, and it has done it in the past with Federal bulk as well.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

PS, I did like my Inviticus quad loads though. Only botched one.

I know that jam very well. I aggree that you need a new mag tube spring especially if it is the last 1 or 2 rounds. If it happens at higher levels, rounds 3 and up to your max I suggest a good take down and clean up of the inertia spring.

Ok, i'll give the mag spring a try. I just put one on my last Shooters Connection order so I have one here. Is the prevailing thought for length of the spring 12 inches past the end of the tube? And I do think it happens during the last 2-3 rounds in the tube.

If the inerta spring is the one in the bolt, I looked at it and it was clean. Jadaeslade I'll post a picture later.

Ok, i'll give the mag spring a try. I just put one on my last Shooters Connection order so I have one here. Is the prevailing thought for length of the spring 12 inches past the end of the tube? And I do think it happens during the last 2-3 rounds in the tube.

If the inerta spring is the one in the bolt, I looked at it and it was clean. Jadaeslade I'll post a picture later.

Sorry, doing too many things at once, the recoil spring, so removal of the stock.

Edited by J.Schmitt

That makes more sense. I've had the stock off when I shimmed it. How do you get the recoil spring out and who carries them? Brownells??

I'll replace the mag spring when I'm at it.

Edited by Blue Jacket

Recoil pad off, then there is a nut on the back end of the tube, remove slowly so the spring doesn't go flying. On mine, the recoil spring tube was very dirty and the spring gummy, years without cleaning. Lots of competition and duck hunting. I did not replace the spring, I just cleaned it all up. If you get particles in there it can slow things up. If you did recently did a loading port job and got metal shavings into the recoil tube that could be problematic. Spring replacement not a bad idea.

Jay

I meant mag tube spring. It forces the rounds rearward with more force to over come the spring on the shell cut off latch and rotate the shell cut off latch back to stop the next shell from shooting out on to the carrier.

Fixed it Kurt! Now I are smart too.

Edited by B45C22

When a shell is released from the magazine tube it must over come the spring on the shell cut off latch and rotate the shell cut off latch back to stop the next shell from shooting out on to the carrier as well. If the last shell is pushed out onto the carrier and doesn't have enough energy to do these things it will just sit on the carrier and the lifter WON'T MOVE until the shell is pulled back far enough to complete the above cycle....it doesn't bounce back! There are actually many causes of this, but a bad mag spring is the first step....BUT ONLY IF IT IS THE LAST SHELL IN THE TUBE. If it is any other shell it is other problems.

I hope some day I'm as smart as you think I am. ;)

Most of the stuff we are talking about here is stuff I figured out in 97-98, so I do have a bit of lab time on it.

• 2 months later...