Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Info please ,can someone explain why Hodgdon changed this ...

chopps

from,

Printed 2013 125 gr FMJ hp-38 1.090 COAL, 4.8 load, vel 1088 , 28,800 cup

to

hodgdon online 2013 125 gr FMJ hp-38 1.125 COAL , 3.9 min to 4.4 max vel 1086 , 31.200 cup

to

2014 Hodgdon online guide 124 gr BERB HBRN TP plated hp-38 1.150 COAL 3.9 min to 4.4 max vel 1037 , 31,900 psi

I see the different weights in bullets by 1 gr and 2 are FMJ's and one is plated .

Just in the same year of 2013 max went from 4.8 to 4.4 and the cup went assbackwards in my mind with a bigger COAL but velocity stayed about same UGH.

I will go with the 2014 specs now just seems kinda hard to understand the changes.

I'm not 100% sure, but its my understanding that, Powder can receipts can very year to year and even lot to lot.

This may account for the differences, Also CUP pressures can be different depending on the Copper washer they are using,

and i'v also heard that CUP pressure isn't a very accurate measurement. That's why some places use PSI, I think

Strange they would be using CUPs at this time. PSI systems are preferred - and give much more data than CUP systems.

Using PSI systems has resulted in quite a bit of data being reduced because of hte additional information yielded.

Guy

CUP and PSI are both very accurate. But are not interchangeable. PSI is usually easier for us to understand and is easier to obtain results when using an actual firearm. CUP must be measured via a universal receiver, specially designed to use copper crushers.

The actual copper crusher is as reliable from batch to batch as if humanly possible. The crusher is of an exact grade of copper and can be made again and again tot he same specs quite easily.

If Hodgdon have changed to a new receiver or barrel in said receiver they may have to adjust the load to suit. More likely they have adjusted the powder by a small amount, or as suggested got to a new match and it has proven to be slightly different. Clearly the OAL has changed. The configuration, composition and/or maker of bullets may have changed, pretty likely.

Use what data is the most recent. Start low and work up.