Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AR trigger questions

DanTroxel

Saw the ad for Chip McCormick triggers in Front Sight. What is the difference between single and double stage triggers? Advantage - disadvantage between flat and curved trigger? Advantage - disadvantage between a self contained one piece assembly and a several piece trigger group?

Thanks!

Hi Dan and welcome aboard!

Straight trigger lets you move your finger farther down giving you better leverage and thus, at least in theory, better control.

Single Stage vs Two Stage: This is pretty much the Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge debate all over again.

The long and short of it is: shoot what you like. If you are a 1911 shooter and love the trigger then go for a single stage. If you are a high power rifle shooter and want the ability to "prep" the trigger and then break the shot then a 2 stage is for you. Some people (Matt Burkett for one) pick the trigger for the task at hand: 2 stage for long shots and single stage for everything else. He spends a fair amount of time discussing this in his new DVD.

Drop-in units are easy to swap in and out and can literally be drop in. A multi-piece unit take some fitting and tweaking to get it all set up just right. I have the JP trigger kit (not the drop-in) in my AR and love it. I can't think of any reason I would change. However when I build my next AR I am going to try one of the drop-ins just to see how it compares.

Hope that helps!

• 2 weeks later...
Is there a trigger pull weight too low for tactical close range target indexing and what is it? Does the McCormick two stage drop-in fall into this category?

By "tactical" do you mean you're actually going to be shooting at people? If not and you're referring to some sort of school of thought or match, then you either need to capitulate fully to the dogma of that school and do what they say or learn to shoot the gun with whatever trigger is in it for the match (whether that's the McCormick or some other brand)

There's no such thing for any firearm as a "too light" trigger. There are triggers that are too light for some people to be able to operate safely (people who don't have enough control of their trigger finger to fire a shot only when they want to) and triggers that are just unsafe (I've felt 3-lb triggers that are unsafe).

It comes down to you and not the trigger. You'll be able to train yourself to "handle" a low trigger pull weight as long as you have the basics down (such as moving with your finger OUT of the trigger guard).