Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

742 Ejection Issues

redux

Hey guys. I just joined and glad i found such a diverse forum. I have been in and around guns most all of my life.

I am reasonably sound mechanically in my opinion. My son has an old 742 Remington 30-06 that's been in the family for many yrs. In the last few yrs. or so Intermittently it has been failing to eject the brass. More failures than successes here lately. Diesn't matter what ammo goes in whether light or heavy loads factory or by handloads. Thanks for any suggestions.

If it's clean, then I'd check the extractor tension. It's hard to tell from your description whether it's cycling totally (bolt all the way to the rear) or just not ejecting the brass. Also you might check the ejector and make sure it's not worn, bent or loose.

What Steve said, and also check the operating (gas?) system to make sure that nothing is out of place and keeping the action from cycling as it should. Springs have to be replaced over time, so it could very easily be something as simple as a few new springs.

The bolt doesnt grab the head hard enough to pull it out. been having to flip it over and pop it out of the chamber with my little screwdriver.

Usually the first shot or two will be ok then it goes downhill from there. I will try to clean it better and relube it.

Thanks and always open for more suggestions if you guys think of anything else.

If it's clean, then I'd check the extractor tension. It's hard to tell from your description whether it's cycling totally (bolt all the way to the rear) or just not ejecting the brass. Also you might check the ejector and make sure it's not worn, bent or loose.

Steve its cycling. exrtactor tension or wear. Sound like sound advice. No telling how many rounds have been thru the gun all these yrs. we lost count. Thank!

I have had this problem in a couple of 742's. Each time it was the chamber being crudded up (this was in the days before bore snakes). I have had both the extractor pull over the rim, and the extractor pull through the rim. My local gun shop told me (a long time ago) that they do a detail strip and clean on a pile of 742's and BAR's every year for the same thing.