Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

5.5 inch limited gun

galt11

I am thinking of taking the dive into having a limited gun built and would like some opinions of the whole 5, 6, or 5.5 inch debate. While not opening the whole can of worms, I have read through all the info on this site about the choices and they all seem to come down to personal preference. What I am curious about is that I thought the whole point of the 5.5 inch guns is that they your fit in the IPSC box? When I contacted the builder I was thinking of using, they told me no. Can someone please shed some light on this. While I am no where near good enough to compete internationally, it is an interesting idea for vacations or as we have the world shoot in FL this year. Thanks

Adam

I know the at least the SVI 5.4" guns will fit in the IPSC box if you have them shave the back of the magwell and beavertail. I have had a 5.4" barrel put into my 5" SVI sight tracker but because I only plan to shoot in the states, I didn't have them shave anything. The old barrel had a crack and the upgrade cost wasn't that much. So far I'm very happy with it! A little extra sight radius and velocity while not being super long and nose heavy. Granted, I'm told some of the heavily machined 6" guns aren't too bad. I have a whole thread here on my gun, I can link you if your interested.

Off topic a little..... Just a FYI , if you are not already in the world shoot now, there is no getting in now

Good luck with your choice........ I bet you pick a 5 inch....lol

No I realize the match would be full. My thinking would be toward the future.

Adam

I know the at least the SVI 5.4" guns will fit in the IPSC box if you have them shave the back of the magwell and beavertail. I have had a 5.4" barrel put into my 5" SVI sight tracker but because I only plan to shoot in the states, I didn't have them shave anything. The old barrel had a crack and the upgrade cost wasn't that much. So far I'm very happy with it! A little extra sight radius and velocity while not being super long and nose heavy. Granted, I'm told some of the heavily machined 6" guns aren't too bad. I have a whole thread here on my gun, I can link you if your interested.

Maybe that was the process someone mentioned. I was leaning the 6 inch way, but never having shot one, thought the 5.4 would be a nice compromise. I will search for your thread. Thanks

Adam