Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para P10-45 Pro Custom and pre ban mags

xxDRBxx

Hello all!

Quick question from someone behind the iron curtian in communist Massachusetts.

I'm in the verge of ordering myself a Para P10-45 Pro custom for L10 and Limited. I am new to USPSA and I had intended on having a custom pistol built but for the forseeable future that is not practical.

The P10-45 is easily obtainable in the state, and at the dealer I work at so with my discount and the $100 rebate I'm looking at under $1k to get into a limited pistol. I already reload 45, so I do t have to worry about getting setup for .40. And there are legal pre bans for under $40 for shooting limited.

My question is, what older ( preban ) mags will I have the best luck with and what are the best ways to expand capacity through availible parts and keep a reliablemag that fits within limited size restrictions Is there such a thing as Para mag "tuning" ?

The mags for the Pro Custom series are made by Mecgar. They may be some older 14-45 mags out there, but I wouldn't mess with them. You can buy the new mags from the Para Pro Shop and the use the Dawson base pads for Para and Arredondo followers and springs to get 17-18 rounds in the gun. I use that combo in my 14-45 Limited and it works well. It's still a disadvantage from the 20-21 you can get with a 16-40, but most stages it's not a huge problem as you have to reload anyway.

Is what you're saying you can have a 20 round mags as long as it was manufactured before your ban? i don't think it works that way. I thought if YOU owned it prior, you were ok. I could be wrong, but that's the way I understood this works. If not you could still have all the 30 round P-mags you want as long as the date fit.

In Massachusetts the 94 AWB never expired... prebans need to be 1994 or earlier and can still be transferred legally provided a LTCA.

I'm looking for ,

Will old preban p14 mags work reliably in the "new" para pro custom models. And, who still makes after market base plates, springs etc to improve reliability and capacity in the old pre 1994 mags

Got it. All the new Dawson/Arredondo stuff should fit the old tubes. There are two different length tubes according to Dawson. I have a 16-40 also and have mixed parts on the old/new tubes with no problem. A lot of old para stuff turns up on Ebay. I bought a old set of 14-45 mags for my Limited that was manufactured in 2012 and they fit with no issues with the Dawson pads.

Edited by Marv Z

Yes, they will work. I would use Dawson base pads with ISMI Para mag springs and factory followers modified per DP instructions and you should get 17-18 rounds of 45 depending on each mag tube it could vary.

Edited by ParaGunner

Went and paid for the pro custom today... Just waiting for transfer to a dealer in my home state. Not particularly happy to see Para decided to ship mine WITHOUT the magwell. Looks like I will get to deal with customer service before ever even firing the pistol, not a great impression to leave with a customer on a $1k+ pistol

Anyone with recommendations or tips for setting this up for recoil spring weights?

Edit: nevermind there's a whole forum section dedicated to springs... Sorry for the noob question.

Edited by xxDRBxx

Well, I know I'm in the wrong forum to bash Para but WOW! Talk about the worst customer service I've ever experienced.

After calling customer service this morning I was told "I" was mistaken that the Pro Custom 10.45 does not included the dawson magwell. Due to the 10 round mags the magwell will not work and is not included. I asked why it was advertised on the website and every picture Para has published of the 10.45 pro custom and i was told he would have to talk to people about that....

I was not even offered an apology, let alone the magwell they advertise the pistol with.

Best of all, I tried to call back a little past 5:00 to express my displeasure in the overall experience only to find that customer service closes at 5:00 and not 5:30 as is stated on their website

Contact Travis Tomasie at Para. If anyone can help, he can.

I'm not sure how to reach him, but I will try. At this point it's not even about a silly $50 part... I can't believe they would treat a paying customer with a concern like that.

Thanks for putting up with my complaining all! Finally got some shooting weather up here in the Northeast! First match of the year on Sat!

After calling customer service this morning I was told "I" was mistaken that the Pro Custom 10.45 does not included the dawson magwell. Due to the 10 round mags the magwell will not work and is not included. I asked why it was advertised on the website and every picture Para has published of the 10.45 pro custom and i was told he would have to talk to people about that....

Wow, that's troubling. I wonder if ANY of the Pro Custom models come with it. They are all pictured with it on the website, but curiously none of the descriptions list the magwell as being included. A bit deceiving if you ask me. The pics definitely give the impression that it is included. I also noticed that the coming soon Tomasie Custom does specifically mention an "oversized magwell" in the description. I guess the lesson here is "a picture isn't worth a thousand words". I hope Travis can help you.

Edited by Jeff Matzka

The 14-45 Pro Custom includes the magwell for sure. I think most places use that pic for the 10-45. Buds was using a pic of the 14-45 Expert for the Elite Pro for about three months. Still doesn't excuse the poor customer service you got though. I'd let Travis know and see if he can help.

Brought the pistol home last night and I'm beyond frustrated at this point...

Attempted to contact Travis, but his mail box is full. Just as well, as it's not really his responsibility and certainly not his fault.

The finish on mine in areas is the worst QC I've seen on any new pistol from any brand at any price ( I would rather have a rusty ruger, at least their customer service will talk to you! ). Machine / tooling marks are plentiful. They couldn't even take the time to use the correct screw driver on the rear site, leaving marks on the adjusting screw...

If I had been able to see this in a gun shop is never in a million years would have purchased in.... Not even for half of msrp

You should of not excepted it at the gun shop you received it at. When ordering online/ having a gun shipped, your inspection period is when you pick it up. You could of not excepted it and it would of shipped back on the sellers dime. Then they would have shipped another.

I would keep trying to get a hold of Travis , I know he will help you.

Got a response from Travis on another forum and all I can say is WOW is he a standup guy... He really cares about the product, the customer and takes pride that he is the spokesperson for the brand.

If the people that produced my pistol had half that self pride, I would have an outstanding pistol.

In the end, my pistol will be headed back to Para and I don't know what I will do with it when it returns. My ordered for the Travis Tomasie signature model has been canceled.

My sincere thanks to everyone who has helped here. I understand my experience with Para is not the same as yours, and I'm not interested in unnecessarily bashing the brand. It's just very disappointed when the most expensive firearm purchase turns out this poorly

Edited by xxDRBxx

• 3 months later...

I think my ordeal with Para is finally (almost) over.... Ultimately it appears Para is going to do the right thing, but it was not easy to get there. My pro custom 10:45 is in a box on its way back, never to return. I will be very glad to have my money back and be done with this.

I am thankful for Travis, who was very very helpful in this whole process.... offering his help and even to personally modify some mags to make things work if need be. That right there is character!

Doug in customer service is a very professional, polite person who tolerate my daily phone calls and emails in getting this resolved. Chris, is extremely short staffed and it shows. Once I got a hold of him he was very interested in helping, but that took nearly 3 weeks

I will be very glad to be done with this! Lessons learned I guess