Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

high shots with my G17

Indebt

Hello I am having a problem shooting high with my Glock 17 at ranges over 10 yards mostly. Even when I take my time and concentrate on trigger control. When I make an effort to aim low I can hit the desired point of impact. I was hoping to use this gun a production/idpa gun. It has factory plastic sights which I don't like because I feel they are lie to low on the slide (I am a novice so I'm not sure I'm accurate in my perceptions) the first thing I ws going to do was put hienies on it. Any help would be appreciated. Oh before I shot Glocks I was shooting a STI 2011 .45.

Depends on what you consider "aiming low", some guns hit right above the aligned sights, or at 12 o'clock. With some others, in order to hit the target, you must "cover" it with the sights.

Also, with the popularity of "low mount" sights, it would seem that there is no such thing as "too low on the slide". Personally, I can't stand sights that are "too high" on the slide, for example, the Beretta's 92 sights.

It's all a matter of taste and getting used to new experiences.

BTW, you could change the sights in your Glock. I know lots of people do.

With some others, in order to hit the target, you must "cover" it with the sights.

It took me two magazines at a plate rack during the match last weekend to remember that my limited gun and a stock glock are not zeroed the same. It was very entertaining to watch from what I can understand. At least I was consistent.

The Glock has a built-in "arched" main spring housing. If yiou are used to something else, it will take some handling time to get in the groove.

Also, there are different height rear sights for the Glock. You might have with these sights. Any markings on them?

As Flex said, Glock offers rear sights with different heigths for changing the POI. Also, have you tried different types of ammo. If ammo is not the problem or you are set on shooting the ammo that you are shooting now @ 2" high, Heinie offers different heigths in the front to correct a 2" and a 3" difference in POA/POI. This is what I had to do with my G35.

Jason