Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para elite

GJGary

Had a chance to shoot one recently and liked it enough that I just ordered the elite target model. Liked the handling, accuracy and look. Of course what motivated me as well is the $100 rebate promotional that they are currently running.

The only downsides I saw to it were 1) the trigger face is polymer and has a little bit of vertical play; and 2) it takes about 500 rounds (so I was told by the elite's owner) to get the trigger to smooth out. He told me that out of the box it is about a 5lb pull and is a little gritty. When I shot his it was very smooth and he told me that the trigger was down to 4lb...no smithing work just cleaning/lubing.

Thanks, the target is the one I want also but didn't think to many people had it so I widened the field by saying the Elite.

Do you plan on any trigger work?

Any magwell considerations ?

Mine should be coming in this week (had to order via Gunbroker).

I'll wait until I get a few hundred rounds downrange before making many changes.

Hoping that if the trigger smooths out that it will be good to go for limited competitions. If it doesn't smooth & lighten up then yes, some trigger work will be in order.

Also, will need to check out some 10-round magazine options and do some load development work (230 fmj) to find the load that it likes the best. I'm not good/fast enough (yet) where a larger magwell will drop my reload times enough to make much of a difference so that will be a future consideration.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Smith & Alexander magwell on mine and like it. Not a perfect drop in, I had to ream the hole for the manspring housing pin a bit. In addition you'll have to shave some of the plastic off the top corners of the magazine sides on the factory mags with the plastic base pads to get it to seat. Couple of passes with a coarse file did it for me. It's a really nice gun for the money.

Just finished a great range session...round count is now about 260 and no FTF or any other problems (using factory mags). Just got in the CMC PowerMag (10-round) and a couple of FTF's on the 1st round but my rounds are short of the 1.260 that they call for so I'll be trying a different COAL/load next.

Anyone with an Elite Officer?

http://para-usa.com/2013/firearms/elite/officer.php

Been on the fence about buying one. I like the looks, and the price point isnt bad. Frame/slide is stainless. But Para seems to have some bad rep out there from when they were made in Canada.

Failures to go into battery, or eject. Excessive tolerances between frame and slide. Main spring not returning the slide fully into battery. I could go on, but damn, how do you f-up a 1911 that's been around this long?

I keep hoping to hear that the quality issues on the new stuff are a thing of the past, because this will be the firearm that protects me when I'm out and about.