Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New BCM handguard

Headworked

So, I put the new BravoCompany KMR-13 handguard on my rifle recently, and as we discussed in another thread, had to change the gas block out to fit it under this new ultra slim rail. I used the Syrac/JP clamp style adjustable block, and after getting it all installed and tuned, think I may have a slight issue... The area on gas block where tabs are for (2) screws just contacts the inside lower edge of the handguard... This causes concern, due to fact barrel is no longer completely 'free-floating'... I didnt notice anything wrong while sighting in and shooting out to 100yds, but when we stretched on out to 300 or so, it wasn't as accurate as it was with old big heavy (lots of clearance) handguard... Guess Im gonna either do some machining on the gas block, or look for another brand that offers more clearance...

In the other thread on gas blocks, several good brands were mentioned, but I looked at them, and most seem to use the 'set screws' digging into barrel surface to prevent movement...

I did a little 'fitting' also on my Syrac block screws, but I can't take enough off the clamp ears to keep handguard from contacting bottom edge... I will have to switch to the low profile style with set screws in bottom

• 2 weeks later...

Took rifle to TFD, and beyond 300yds, couldn't hit squat... Went zero range twice during match, and even at 100 yds, was having issues holding a good group inside 2" resting handguard off table... The gas block is still making contact with inside bottom surface of hg, so it's coming off. Ordered the recommended SLR sentry... Will post up with results after the install, and a day at the range.

Got the SLR sentry block installed. Fit and finish was excellent, and looks like it has .120 in of clearance on bottom side, so not going to contact handguard any longer... Should produce good results once gas pressure is adjusted

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got a chance to get out and get some practice after installing new SLR gas block. Used a rangefinder to dial in a spot where we had a good backstop, and settled in at about 475 yards. Set up a 3' tall target, with a 6" Shoot-and-See sticker, and fired off 5 or 6 rounds using my 300 yard hold over, but putting it about 12" above the center. You can see the group at the top of the target, which is about what I was holding over... Im using a Kahles 1-6x24, with the SM2. there's a second dot just outside below the circle, and it sits just under target at 300 yds... I held it high for first group, and I fired quickly, as I would at a swinger in a competition... I was not steady, shooting from a one knee down position, and resting the handguard on fender of an ATV... there was a light cross wind, variable, from left to right...

After first group, drove over to target, was pleased to see all the shots on paper, but a little high... So went back to shooting spot, took position again, and adjusted holdover down slightly... and voila! very good on elevation, just slightly right, some due to me moving around, and some due to light gusts... All in all, very happy now with repeatability, and I believe I wont suffer as badly at long swinging targets in next match hopefully!

photo_zps54f40912.jpg

Edited by Headworked