Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

38SC to 9 minor loads

outerlimits

Taking the plunge-for those who have done it, can one assume that muzzle velocity will be a tad less given same powder charge? Using faster powders, Understand case volume is less, but are we talking close here? Looking for a starting point.

Taking the plunge-for those who have done it, can one assume that muzzle velocity will be a tad less given same powder charge? Using faster powders, Understand case volume is less, but are we talking close here? Looking for a starting point.

I'm not 100% sure what you're asking? are you saying you want to shoot 9 minor through your 38 SC chambered pistol?

or are you now shooting 38 SC minor and want to shoot 9 minor (in a different gun?) and want to know a starting load? sorry, but I don't quite get it?!?

guess i wasn't clear...for example, in 38supercomp a load of 4.2 gr of 452AA with 115 gr JHP gets muzzle velocity of 1005 fps. was curious if same load in 9mm would generate similar muzzle velocity of perhaps higher, given less case volume.

ahh, now I get you. basically you're asking if your 38 super comp loads will work in a 9mm with the same projectile/powder/etc.

the answer is "kind of". as you noted there is less case volume. on top of that we are now talking about a different gun (or at least different top end) which has a different barrel, different chamber etc. there is no set formula for it. you just really need to work up a load for the 9mm. you might use a low starting load from your 38SC experience but you'll still have to test and chrono the new barrel/new load.