Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Modifying Revolver for Moon-Clips

SSGJohnV

Hello All,

I am not a revolver shooter, usually, but I do have two revolvers. A Ruger LCR .357 mag, and my mothers old police issue (made in 1964) SW Model 15-2.

I made a promise to my dad that I would never sell the gun, and I have no intention of doing so, so that it can be passed down when I eventually have children. All of that being said, I was thinking of competing with it in USPSA or Steel Challenge for giggles, and I had considered getting either a new cylinder and cutting it for moon clips, or just getting the current cylinder cut for moon clips by Clark Custom ( http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/moonclip.htm ).

My question is considering I only want to use it for competition, never carry, would there be a hassle I am not expecting in doing this? I understand from the website that I would still be able to single load rounds in it and the limitations of the moonclips. Do you think it would be better to just get a new cylinder and have it converted? Are there cylinders I could buy that are already converted and will work in my Model 15-2?

Thank you all for the input. Take care.

-John Vlieger

I contacted TKCustoms about having the same sort of thing done for a Model 10 I have. They told me to if I wanted to use a new cylinder instead of having the existing cylinder machined that I would have to send the whole pistol instead of just the cylinder. I ended up not doing it and bought a 625 JM to shoot. Competing in steel challenge with a revolver is a lot of fun. The added pressure of only having one spare shot really makes you concentrate on your aiming technique.

IMO, it would be a mistake. In USPSA, you're competing against 8 shot moonclips, or 6 round major guns. 6 round minor guns have no good place in USPSA. Same thing in ICORE. However, 6 shot speedloader gun have their own division. I don't know about IDPA.

I would be willing to bet someone at the club where you shoot has a moon clipped revolver you could try for a match or two.

It's easy to get into the habit of "buy it just to try it", but that's definetly not the most efficient way to do things; just remember to give more than you take and you'll be a popular guy :)