Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting Flat

infinity

I think a tight grip helps. But you shouldn't be tense while gripping. Strong grip, no tension.

spook, how do u grip ur blaster, 60% or 70% weakhand and 40% or 30% stronghand...or u have a different grip style?

skywalker thanks for that insight...i'll keep that in mind and hopefully improve.

infinity, my grip is radically different :D I have shoot revolver and have a big weird custom grip to start with. But I noticed that in periods when I worked out a lot with free weights , I would keep the gun much flatter. It just came naturally. Big strong forearms help. Try it. Just work them out every other day for 10 minutes. See if there's a difference.

I think that timing is more important than the "Death Grip" A good solid grip is very important, but I believe that Understanding the timing of your pistiol is more important. Every one has sight/ dot movement. Its when you press the trigger that makes the difference, and that takes a whole lot of practice ( Some thing that I don't do much any more, I might add.) ;)

Ivan

I have to lean toward the timing theory. Years ago I watched a women shoot an iron-sighted open gun on T.V. at the USPSA nationals. The slide on her pistol recoiled waaayyy up high, but Magill said she was a "B" class shooter. I'm sure that many of us would love to shoot B class scores. Evidently she new how to shoot.

While I don't know Mr. Miguez personally, and have seen only a few videos of him; based on the videos of him hosted on www.doublealpha.biz, I say he shoots pretty flat. I think these are the same videos featured on one of Matt Burkett's DVDs.

EDIT: These are what I'm talking about.

http://www.doublealpha.biz/images/BlakeMiguez1b.avi

http://www.doublealpha.biz/images/BlakeMiquez2b.avi

And another in Matt B's site. This one plays on Quicktime player, for those not familiar with the file extension.

http://www.burkettvideo.com/video/blake.mp4

Why do you guys think it EITHER a strong grip OR consistent sight tracking? Why not enjoy both?

Don't worry about the 70% weakhand 30% stronghand stuff.

Grip it and rip it. Don't overcomplicate things.

I'm with Jake on that one. Your body will make the neccessary modifications by itself.

A buddy of mine and I both have Brazos Limited guns. His gun is set up heavy. Wide long dust cover, Bull barrel,tunston guide rod, but with a lightened slide.

My gun is set up to also be IDPA legal so it has a standard dust cover, bushing barrel, steel guide rod, but with a non-lightened slide.

When shooting the two guns side my side with the same ammo my freinds heavyier gun definatley tracks the sights much flater then mine. However, I feel that although my gun is boucier, it probably only slows my splits down 1-3 houndreds of a second compared to me shooting my freinds heavier gun. Also, I like the way my lighter gun transitions better between targets.

I feel that no matter if you you have a flat shooting limited gun or a flippy limited gun, shoot the piss out of it and you will improove.