Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

how to get real tritium sight paint

Real-Tech

"tru glow", and "glow on" its all nonsense. you still have leave your gun out somewhere in the light to recharge the paint where your kids can get to it which is still a real dumb idea. Now i would like to able to to apply my own tritium paint to my sights so i can grab it from a case a 3 oclock in the mourning and see nice bright three dots lined up in front of me. Anyone know how to get this paint.

Tritium isn't a paint - it's a small vial of gas

Yep, it's radioactive hydrogen in a small vial with a phosphor that leads to the color. If you crack it, you'll get yourself a nice whiff of radioactive stuff and it won't be visible. Radium paint would work, but it's nasty stuff, thus the fact that it isn't really manufactured anymore. You could get some tritium vials and drill out slots for them in the sights, but that would be way more of a pain than just buying tritium sights.

Tritium is H3 as mentioned above. during WWII a lot of ladies in Oak Ridge were sickened from painting radium on the dials of watches. Tritium is also was makes an atomic bomb a hydrogen bomb. It is way more complicated, but like mentioned above, is a highly controlled substance.