Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Harris Bipods and Miculek Comp

I've used Harris bipods for over 35 years but until I started shooting Open in 3 Gun, I never needed one on an AR. So now I have several questions

With the bipod closed, the rubber feet are just under the Mikulek comp. And if the legs are closed but extended out to the full 13", it will put the rubber pads forward of the comp.

Will gases from the comp tear these up? Do most just mount the bipod further from the muzzle or is it just not a problem?

Also, just what it the purpose of the metal clips on the upper portion of the bipod's legs. With a little effort these can be slid up or down the leg, but they really seem to not have any function.

Thanks.

Bill

I have always run bipods ‘backwards’ on my 3gun AR’s for a few reasons,

1. While shooting offhand, there’s room for my support hand forward on the hand guard

2. It’s an easy reach to fold/deploy.

3. It’s an easier reach for my support hand when prone, I grab one leg to to help guide the rifle on target for fast transitions. While you might give up a bit of stability being closer to the receiver, I do fairly well with it on the long range stuff.

post-18319-0-75084500-1394070973_thumb.j post-18319-0-13944900-1394071111_thumb.j

crappy cell pics, but you get the idea

The little clips are bumpers. They are supposed to hit the base when the legs fold. Before they started installing those if you slapped the legs closed fast enough and often enough, it dented the outer tubes and made the extensions stick inside.

The little clips are bumpers. They are supposed to hit the base when the legs fold. Before they started installing those if you slapped the legs closed fast enough and often enough, it dented the outer tubes and made the extensions stick inside.

That make sense. But I noticed that I need to adjust them on all my bipods. Not a single one is set correctly.

Thanks.

Bill

I have noticed that they seem to vary in placement. Don't know if they get bumped around during shipping or just get assembled occasionally by an untrained chimp. But mostly they start out between the leg and the leg stop flange.

Edited by openclassterror

I have noticed that they seem to vary in placement. Don't know if they get bumped around during shipping or just get assembled occasionally by an untrained chimp. But mostly they start out between the leg and the leg stop flange.

My bipods run from 1976 manufacture to 2012 manufacture. Since none line up with the bracket and they are on pretty tight and do not want to slide, I vote it was an untrained chimp that by now is eligible for retirement.

Thanks.

Bill

Correctly installed they go like this- all the way against the larger diameter tube that the pivot screw runs thru. If you are in the habit of slapping the legs and letting the spring pull the leg shut ( like I do in 3gun matches) you will need to re-position them on a regular basis.

post-48876-0-51418600-1394215168_thumb.j

I have always run bipods ‘backwards’ on my 3gun AR’s for a few reasons,

1. While shooting offhand, there’s room for my support hand forward on the hand guard

2. It’s an easy reach to fold/deploy.

3. It’s an easier reach for my support hand when prone, I grab one leg to to help guide the rifle on target for fast transitions. While you might give up a bit of stability being closer to the receiver, I do fairly well with it on the long range stuff.

attachicon.gifopena.jpg attachicon.gifopenb.jpg

crappy cell pics, but you get the idea

So I take it you do not lean into the gun at all with the bipod mounted in reverse (ie loading the bipod). I would see that as a recipe for premature folding if I attempted that as it goes counter to how I have always used a bipod.

So I take it you do not lean into the gun at all with the bipod mounted in reverse (ie loading the bipod). I would see that as a recipe for premature folding if I attempted that as it goes counter to how I have always used a bipod.

Correct, I kind of do a push-me pull-ya thing. I keep slight pressure of the stock into my shoulder and light pressure pushing a leg of the bipod with my support hand, driving the gun. Since most arrays I run into are spread out quite aways, I could never move or ‘set’ the gun as fast as I wanted with it out near the muzzle.

While it’s not using the bipod in the traditional sense, we’re usually not making precision shots in 3gun. If I need to make a tight shot, I still can, but a 4moa target (that you can see) with good glass and decent support is fairly easy at any distance I’ve encountered at SMM3G, MG Nats, RM3G or FB3G.

But, just like hoser stages, transitions are key. Know your zero, holds and the rhythm you need to get your hits at any distance. Break the shot and get moving. If you are waiting for the RO to call your hit before getting on to the next target, you’re going to get left in the dust.

Ymmv, but this technique helps me keep a couple of local kids (kellyn & nils) honest….. :roflol:

Correct, I kind of do a push-me pull-ya thing. I keep slight pressure of the stock into my shoulder and light pressure pushing a leg of the bipod with my support hand, driving the gun. Since most arrays I run into are spread out quite aways, I could never move or ‘set’ the gun as fast as I wanted with it out near the muzzle.

While it’s not using the bipod in the traditional sense, we’re usually not making precision shots in 3gun. If I need to make a tight shot, I still can, but a 4moa target (that you can see) with good glass and decent support is fairly easy at any distance I’ve encountered at SMM3G, MG Nats, RM3G or FB3G.

But, just like hoser stages, transitions are key. Know your zero, holds and the rhythm you need to get your hits at any distance. Break the shot and get moving. If you are waiting for the RO to call your hit before getting on to the next target, you’re going to get left in the dust.

Ymmv, but this technique helps me keep a couple of local kids (kellyn & nils) honest….. :roflol:

Thank you for explaining your technique. Something for me to try.