Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

hang fire w/9mm

sgms18

I have had 3-4 hang fires in the last 250 or so rounds. 2 different bullets but both loaded w/accurate #7 and federal primers. I am shooting them in a Glock 19, no mods whatsoever. There is about 3/4 to 1 second delay between click & bang. The powder is 10+ years old & stored in a cabinet in a cinder block shop & im thinkin that may be the problem. Should I be looking at the primers, what do yall think? I have never had hang fires before & now all the sudden im eat up w/em.

What type primer? Standard SP or magnums? How much of that powder is in the case? I would have to agree either bad powder or too much powder and not hot enough primers.

Nothing. I don't use any case lube on pistol ammo. I do clean brass in an ultrasonic cleaner with lemon juice & water. I bake them in the oven to dry. I don't know maybe there could be some moisture left in some of the cases but I wouldn't think so hell they sat on the bench for a week after they came out of the oven.

You're on the right track. Just isolate it between the powder, primers or maybe moisture in your cases. I'd switch one component at a time and determine what the defect is.

What powder are you using and is it in a plastic or cardboard container?

Edited by LikesToShoot

it's probably closer to 20 years old, probably from the mid 90s

I've been using 20 year old WW231 without any problems.

Stored in the same type plastic containers, in a basement.

Might depend on exactly how much humidity has entered the container -

are you in the Houston area?

I've shot AA#7 at max in 9mm without the primers being the issue. If your brass has started its life dry, I'd imagine it's the powder. Do you dry tumble your brass? The only times I've experienced hangfires were with AA#2 in a .38 spl (something ridiculous like 10% case fillage) and other .38s that might not have had enough drying time after coming out of the ultrasonic I no longer use.