Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New 14.5 build

triggerman300

Has anyone tried a 14.5 or 16", with mid or carbine gas, with an adjustable gas block and low mass carrier/buffer? Everyone says the shorter gas length is harsher, and that has been my experience also, but I was planning to build a 14.5" upper and see if I could tune the gas down for a softer shooting setup.

I have a 16" Mid-gas Wilson combat barrel, syrac adj gas block and JP low mass. Gas block turned all the way down still locks back. I can't say that it is noticeably softer than full mass, non adj gas. But--I've never shot a similar set up in rifle length, and I'm a middle of the pack shooter. It looks great, and works fine but Im not sure the benefit for me justified the cost. Bigger gains came from changing from a chrome lined mil spec barrel to the Wilson, and having JP install their trigger. Just one mans opinion, and YMMV.

So reading all this great SBR info, vs 18" rifle length gas gun has me puzzled... I shot the new Adams Arms 16" COR piston gun, and it HAS a rifle length gas system on it, so there's not much barrel after the block... It shoots as soft and flat as my JP gun, and maybe just a hair softer

Has anyone tried a rifle gas 14.5 or 16" barrels?

16 inch rifle gas is not universally reliable. Some have got them to work but most have not. 14.5 rifle gas might as well own a single shot as the gas port would only be an few inches from the end of the barrel.

The reason 18 inch rifle gas is popular is it is the shortest barrel that will universally run on a rifle gas system.

Pat