Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Looking into a USPSA membership

trecamp

I'm new to the competition games, and am looking into either a USPSA or IDPA membership. Here in eastern NC, USPSA seems to be around more, so I'm leaning more that way. That being said, I carry a Walther PPS and it doesn't appear on the USPSA production list.

Anyone know why not? Any way to get it added?

I know I won't be able to "run with the pack", but I'm looking for fun, not trophies.

Thanks,

Kevin

Welcome Kevin!

I believe most people just run in Limited or Limited 10 with similar guns that aren't on the production list.

You would have to get the manufacturer(?) to fill out the form & send it to USPSA IIRC:

From USPSA's web site:

There are steps and criteria for a handgun to be accepted to the Production gun list.

• 1. 2000 manufactured and available to the general public .
  • 2. No magwell attachments or external flaring of the magwell, the lateral internal width of the well may not be more than 1/4" wider than the lateral width of the magazine. The lateral width of the well to mean the narrow width where the mainspring housing is inserted, the lateral width of the magazine to mean the narrow side that faces the mainspring housing when inserted into the handgun.
  • 3. Must meet the criteria listed in the appendix of the current rule book as well as that listed above.
  • 4. The gun must be viewed by NROI prior to its acceptance. 5. A production gun approval form filled out and signed and returned to NROI

Absolutely nothing wrong with shooting USPSA just for the fun of it! Truth be known, I suspect the majority of members are doing just that. I know I am! I have been a (USPSA) member for 5 years, and am still a class C shooter in limited and open divisions.

As already mentioned, you could shoot that gun in limited, or better yet, limited 10. Just shoot and enjoy the hobby / sport ;)

You might be more well served by shooting IDPA. You can use your carry holster and the courses of fire are shorter. There are some silly rules, but you could definitely shoot the PPS in USPSA in a different division, like limited.

Have fun!

I agree that IDPA may better serve you with the PPS. You would only need minimum of 2 8 round mags but 3 would be best. USPSA stages can go to 32 rounds per stage, so you would need at least 4 8 rounder mags and 4 mag holders. Either way just go shoot whatever and have fun. If you like it, you will know better what equipment you want to get to achieve whatever goal in the sport.

• 1 month later...

I suspect at the local USPSA level that no one would question the legality of shooting on of these guns in Production division even though technically it isn't legal.

Walther likely never submitted the paper work to USPSA for this gun since it isn't idea for USPSA competition because of the magazine capacity. To be competitive in standard USPSA competition or IDPA you would generally want at least 10 rounds in the magazine. IDPA occasionally runs "bug gun" matches that cater to guns similar to the PPS (barrels under 3.8 inches).

That being said there world be nothing wrong with showing up to a USPSA or IDPA match with your PPS to get a feel for competition add their unique styles.

I would approach the match director, let him or her know that you are a new shooter, and ask which division you should be shouting in. Division really shouldn't matter for your first matches anyway as most new shooters have some ground to cover before they are competitive.

I started shooting USPSA Production with my carry gun which was a Glock 19. After awhile if you like the game chances are you would be shopping for a gun with a little more capacity and a longer sight radius for competition use.

Edited by alma