Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Magazine issue

Raiden101

I went to the range yesterday and had a good time. This morning when I went to lock up my gun, it rattled. After a little investigation, I found that the round in the magazine that sits against the follower is loose. I took the mag apart and everything looks ok to me, but I've never had a mag apart before. Has anyone else had this issue?

Edit - It's a factory 15round magazine

Edited by Raiden101

I can actually see the back of the round moving through the little holes in the back. I'm thinking it might be the spring itself.

I cleaned the one with the issue to no avail. It rattles with 12 rounds, but stops at 14 rounds

This morning when I went to lock up my gun, it rattled. After a little investigation, I found that the round in the magazine that sits against the follower is loose.

It sounds like you were putting it away with the mag loaded? If always stored loaded the springs will go out faster than when stored empty, so I would guess that is the issue!

If it's one of the lower rounds in the mag rattling, this is not unusual for Glock mags. If the top round is loose, the follower could be binding on rear inside surface of the mag. Glock "FML" mags have the metal lining joint at the center rear of the mag, and I've had one or two mags where the metal liner delaminated from the polymer and caught the follower.

They're not hard to disassemble, and you should do this occasionally to both inspect and clean them. Just stick a 3/32" punch in the hole on the bottom of the floor plate and use it to lever the floor plate forward and off the mag tube.

It's my HD/carry, so there's always one loaded, and I rotate them every couple days or so. I only have 2 mags so far, but I am planning on ordering a few more once my tax return comes through.

I found a video on YouTube that shows how to take it apart, and it is really simple. I use a small Philips screw driver as my "armorers tool" for now