Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I didn't review EVERY page (there were just too many and I was hogging a non-purchase mag in a place with only one chair) ;) , so I couldn't tell if Ivan had advertised in that issue or not...

There also didn't seem to be an Advertiser's Index (as with certain other publications) which may've helped locate the page he was on.......

I hate gun advertising anymore. Either you get on the Mall Ninja bandwagon, or just plan on not selling anything to anyone. "Hi, I have a better/faster/cheaper product that you might like to try" doesn't work for squat anymore.

[/Rant Off]

I like to read Shotgun News while I am grocey shopping with my wife. It is actually a win-win situation. She takes forever trying to make up her mind and I get an hour of reading time in.

I have never purchased anything from anyone in shotgun news. I like to see all the goods for sale and the prices on optics. But when I want to buy something I pretty much rely on the Internet.

Some years ago Bill Laughridge about his advertising, he concluded that Shotgun News would not bring them anymore business. I found out about his shop from a Shooting Mag and word of mouth.

I do not think the return on investment is very good there.

Does anyone out there have the ability to scan a low-res version of Ivan's advert in the December issue...? It's highly relevant to some work he and I are currently doing. ...and I KNOW that The Baron's Den here doesn't subscribe to SGN--because I haven't seen it there in over two years since I joined. ...and Barnes & Noble only had the January issue in stock.

Thanks. :)

Shotgun News as I remember it from the 1980’s and into the very early 90’s was a rag smiths and dealers used to find best wholesale prices on guns and buy them. My gunsmith would look up the best price on anything new I wanted in SGN, then order it for me, tack on the transfer fee and a handling/markup charge, call me when it had spent enough time in his safe and I would come get it. This was a pretty standard scenario before the internet took over. The last time I looked at SGN, it seemed really Tactibilly to me. Such is the way of progress I guess. AH ain’t what it used to be either :-(

--

Regards,

I'm not sure SGN is so much Mall Ninja territory, as it is military surplus territory (I realize there is considerable overlap between the two). I see a lot of ads for Cetmes, Yugoslavian Mausers, Russian bolt guns, Enfileds, etc. That and WW II German helmets, etc.

The ammo ads seem like they are dominated by surplus, pseudo-surplus, and Wolf. Hence my recommendations.

Last year I bought my partner a case of .303 ammo for his Enfield, it is kind of cool using a can opener to get at your ammo. That and stripper clips are cool in and of themselves. B)

So you may add packaging your rifle ammo in stripper clips and bandoliers to the list of marketing strategies.

Marketing to USPSA is tough, as I would think most of the high volume shooters reload.