Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

e3 Loads for Minor

ZackJones

We have a very good list of recipes for loading e3 for major power factor so I thought I'd start a new thread for minor loads. I'll be working up some loads next month for an M&P Pro in .40 and thought I'd see if anyone has already come up with a good starting load.

Also anyone have a preference between 180 and 200 grain bullets? In the past I only used 180 but since Bayou offers 200's I was thinking about giving them a try.

• 2 weeks later...

Picked up my M&P Pro .40 on Saturday. Yesterday I took it to the range to do some chrono runs. The Lee disks seem to be a bit sketchy as others have already pointed out so I weighed every load to make sure I was getting full powder throws and found out several times I didn't :(. It seems my M&P and Bayou bullets run really fast.

3.0g of e3 with 180g Bayou averaged 797 FPS (143 PF)

3.4g of e3 with 180g Bayou averaged 840 FPS (151 PF)

I'm going to try some 2.8g or as close as I can get to that and see how things run this coming weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

I had my loads officially choreographed today at the Alabama sectional match. Using between 2.7 and 2.9 grains of e3 (I can't get a consistent powder throw with my Lee powder drop) produced an average velocity of 753 FPS which is good for a 135 PF. I will continue to shoot this load for all of my matches.

Picked up my M&P Pro .40 on Saturday. Yesterday I took it to the range to do some chrono runs. The Lee disks seem to be a bit sketchy as others have already pointed out so I weighed every load to make sure I was getting full powder throws and found out several times I didn't :(. It seems my M&P and Bayou bullets run really fast.

3.0g of e3 with 180g Bayou averaged 797 FPS (143 PF)

3.4g of e3 with 180g Bayou averaged 840 FPS (151 PF)

I'm going to try some 2.8g or as close as I can get to that and see how things run this coming weekend.

Having the same inconsistencies with my Lee Pro disk and E3. Also having very similar PF/charge numbers as you - did some chrono'ing earlier today (all with moly 180s - Bayou, SNS & BBI).

I really like this powder, but just wish I could figure out how to get my Pro disk to throw it more consistently - it throws WST, N320 & H335 very consistently. For now I'm just using the E3 for practice loads and IMO it feels very similar to my N320 match loads (similar accuracy as well).

I don't trust the auto disks with e3 and minor powder charges right now. I weigh every charge which really slows down the process. I have a Lee perfect powder measure that I'm going to experiment with tonight and see if I can get it to throw more consistent charges. It will still be slow if I can get it working but if it's consistent it's much better than a throw of 2.7 grains followed by a throw of .8 grains. At larger charges the disks work fine it's just the light loads where it is having trouble.

That is the reason I always say to start at 3 grains. The Auto disc seems to work well with that and above. There is a difference in recoil between 2.8 and 3.0 but it is ever so slight. 3.0 seems to run cleaner and is a little more accurate in my guns also. I can do 2.8 with my Dillon with out a problem but the guys I shoot with have a problem below 3 grains with the Auto Disc unless they buy one of those cheap Wally World fish tank pumps and tie wrap it to their powder measure. I know that sounds like a lot of trouble but all of them tell me it works. Go figure...

Edited by bowenbuilt

That is the reason I always say to start at 3 grains. The Auto disc seems to work well with that and above. There is a difference in recoil between 2.8 and 3.0 but it is ever so slight. 3.0 seems to run cleaner and is a little more accurate in my guns also. I can do 2.8 with my Dillon with out a problem but the guys I shoot with have a problem below 3 grains with the Auto Disc unless they buy one of those cheap Wally World fish tank pumps and tie wrap it to their powder measure. I know that sounds like a lot of trouble but all of them tell me it works. Go figure...

I'm primarily loading major PF loads (3.8gr w/ a moly 180gr makes 170PF in my 6") and I still get inconsistent drops - using the .61 disk hole. Tried mica thru the measure to slick it up, but didn't help much with E3.

I was wondering if one of the other drum type measures (Hornady, RCBS) I could mount up on the loadmaster would throw E3 consistently or would it be about the same? Maybe I'll try the vibration route with the pro disk?

• 3 weeks later...

I am going to start reloading some .40 minor loads for shooting my G35 in production. I was just wondering how these loads shoot. Is the point of aim the same, is the recoil pretty soft. Thanks

Today is your lucky day -- better go buy a lottery ticket :). As luck would have it I bought a Glock 35 for my son to use after his Para P16-40 was giving him fits. This past weekend we shot at match at our local club and the Glock 35 ran flawlessly. I still beat him with my M&P though :). After the match we ran two different 10-round strings over the chronograph to make sure the ammo was good to go for the upcoming Area 6 match. Attached is a screen capture of the chronograph results. The loads were 2.7 - 2.9 grains of e3, with Bayou 180g bullet loaded at 1.130. As you can see from the results the Glock seems to run faster than my M&P. I've pretty much settled on running 2.8g of e3 for my minor load regardless of pistol.

The POA/POI was the same for me but my son was having some trouble making the adjustment from the Para to the Glock. On Sunday we went back to the range and worked on basic drills dealing with trigger press. We started at 5 yards and worked our way back to 15-20 yards and by the time he got back to 15-20 he was hitting where he wanted. For me e3 is the single do-it-all powder. As soon as I see more available I'm buying it.

post-50397-0-03437600-1396971100_thumb.j

I have the best luck finding e3 and Comp. at my local gun stores. The online sellers have thousands of people looking at them everyday all day long just waiting for any powder to show in stock. It's hard to compete with that kind of access. I just drive around to the locals and usually find more powder and primers than I need. I purchased 3 lbs. of e3 at the local Wal-Mart about a month ago along with 3k of W-W small pistol primers. You just never know what you will find riding around your home town.

2.7 to 2.9 grains of e3 at 1.130 is good for minor USPSA load. My son's Glock 35 and my M&P Pro easily made minor at Area 6 today. I'll dig out the chrono sheets tomorrow and post the official readings.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the best luck finding e3 and Comp. at my local gun stores. The online sellers have thousands of people looking at them everyday all day long just waiting for any powder to show in stock. It's hard to compete with that kind of access. I just drive around to the locals and usually find more powder and primers than I need. I purchased 3 lbs. of e3 at the local Wal-Mart about a month ago along with 3k of W-W small pistol primers. You just never know what you will find riding around your home town.

That's how I found my 3 lbs. It was on the shelf and it was on my list of powders that I can use.