Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Had to learn it the hard way

JonSnow

Don't change anything right before a match. I know this, you know this, we all know this, but sometimes you have to screw it up yourself before you really believe it.

Saturday I pulled my Para out to clean it prior to Sunday's match only to discover my rear sight was loose. I swapped it with an older one that's missing a nut but fit the dovetail, eyeballed it the best I can and called it good. I can't sight in before the match so I know right off the bat that this is going to be a long match. Well, I never liked how much vertical play there was in my stock plastic trigger, I've got a new guncrafter trigger sitting here and the gun's already apart so why not? After a little stoning the new trigger is smooth in the frame with no play, the gun's back together and function tests just fine.

Sunday rolls around, I start on an all-paper stage so I can dial in my sights. Buzzer goes off, I draw, pull the trigger, it goes bang and then locks up. Trigger won't reset. Pull the trigger forward and it goes bang once and locks up again. I swap mags and it shoots fine, then I reload, move to the next array and it won't reset. Finish the stage in 4x the time it should have taken. I shoot one more stage before calling it a day. First time I've ever DNF'ed any stage. I'm sure a lot of you have figured it out by now, the trigger was dragging on the mags. When I did my function checks at home, I'd done them with an empty gun.

Lesson learned: Don't change anything right before a match.

• 2 weeks later...

It's okay. I put a new Dawson FO sight on my Para P16-40 Limited right before a steel challenge match. Had a buddy shooting it. Bad day overall. Got shot with frag from a 180 grain FMJ right in the tip of my swizzle stick. Shot horribly that day. Aaaaaaand my brand new FO Dawson front sight flew off while my buddy was shooting it, never to be found.