Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Short Colt & 158 gr plated - powder?

varminter22

I've searched and I think I've read just about everything about the .38 Short Colt here.

But still not sure how to proceed.

Have been shooting Mont Gold 142 JHP and Xtreme 147 (plated) RN, both with 3.3 gr Tite Group (in a M627). Good results.

Now I would like to try the Xtreme 158 (plated) RNFP in the .38 Short Colt. Being aware of all that's been said here about faster powders with heavier bullets, am unsure of how to proceed.

Powders I have on hand:

Tite Group

Clays

WST

Trail Boss

N320

Suggestions? Need a new (slower) powder?

As someone mentioned in another thread, am thinking of trying 3.0 gr N320 with the plated Xtreme 158 RNFP.

Advice and load suggestions appreciated!

I'm using 700x with lead 158 grain bullets and that's about as fast burning as you can get. Just work up slow, chronograph and look for signs of pressure. I would guess that almost all guns blown up with fast burning powders are from double charges. Not likely to be a problem in short colt brass.

I suggest TG or Clays. Don't know enough about 700X in the Short Colt to be honest. But 1.8gr to 2.0gr TG worked for me. I used a 150gr RN Cast Lead, so starting at 1.8gr would be safer. Ideally the Short Colt used 140gr I think originally and most load data is with 125gr (Remington reload that bullet) or lighter.

With 158 RN Berry's I used 3.2 Titegroup and 3.4 WST and was going to try 2.9 Clays (but ran out of bullets) All gave/should give 830f/s.

Titegroup heats up the Revo pretty quick, but is a good load.

WST is inverse temp sensitive, it gets slower as the ambient temps go up.

Clays would be a good bet, but Titegroup is usually a bit more accurate.

OAL was 1.15 or more.

Im currently using the 158 gr rnfp .357 dia plated Extreme bullet (would prefer a true round nose, but they were given to me, you know how it is) out of Starline .38 short colt brass. Im using 3.5 grains of Winchester Autocomp powder. Shoots very nice, 131 pf. Very happy with accuracy.