Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Learning the hard way about press maintenance

Nik Habicht

I broke the main shaft on Saturday afternoon! Which fortunately costs considerably less than a Square Deal B..... which was my nightmare scenario over the weekend. Dillon's shipping one out --- so I can completely tear down this press too.....

Let's see --- that's three presses for me. I seized up a Square Deal B, a 650 and now broke the mainshaft on a 1050. I've rebuilt the first two, number three will happen later this week. If I can add a 550 to the mix, maybe I can get a job at Dillon one day..... :lol:

Well, it was getting tough to move the handle the last inch or two of stroke --- and I conveniently blamed it on either swaging primer pockets or tumbling media residue on one batch (ca. 5000) of cases. After talking to Dennis at Dillon this morning, he suggested a few possible culprits: Most common apparently is screwing the swage backup rod down a smidgeon too far. In my case since it was fine for a while, then started getting progressively harder, either something started coming out of adjustment or there's crap in the guts of the machine. I'll tear it apart later, or tomorrow to see what's what. The main shaft at the bottom splits into two halves, each of which has a hole to connect via a pin to the connecting rod ---- I broke those halves where they connect to the pin. The Dillon theory is that I cracked one, and then with repeated use, more cracks appeared and eventually the part failed. It was memorable to hear and to see metal flying across the room.....

Same here (though I'm only up to 50K rounds on my 1050). Were I loading 9mm, I might put it back.

Anyway.. the way I tell when it's time to lube the press is I put a piece of tape on the flat part at the bottom of the casefeed mechanism. Every time I open a new 1K box of primers I put a mark on it. Every 10-15 marks, it's grease-in-the-zerks time. You lazy folks could use the opening of another 5K primer case and only make 2 marks.

Every couple lubes, I tear it all the way down and give it a good cleaning. It doesn't need that, but you get to appreciate some fine machinery design while you're at it.

I'm in the middle of reassembly when I discover that I cracked one of the stations on the shell plate as well. Oh joy ---- I get to call Dillon again......

.....it could be worse, I could be trying to call my cellular provider's service department.....