Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AJE's thread

AJE

I guess I should get in on one of these.

Background:

Shot a .22 rifle when I was around 8 years old. I was pretty much ruined for life at that point :devil:

I shot a lot of skeet, trap, sporting clays, etc. from the time I was 13 until I was around 20. Never really cared about handguns until then. I got a Walter P22 and eventually a couple of Glocks when I went through the police academy, where I actually got some instruction on pistol shooting. I thought I was pretty decent but never got into any formal competitions. Took any advantage I could of firearms training through work. Looking back, I went through a lot of ammo practicing stuff that I had learned but it wasn't as structured as it could have been.

Fast forward a few years, in 2010 I was sent to firearm instructors courses from the Sheriff's Office. Three weeks total, including revolver, semi auto pistol, shotgun, and carbine. I start loading for pistols and put a lot of lead downrange, but again, looking back it was mostly without real structure or purpose other than just simply going shooting.

Early 2013 had me bored, surfing YouTube, watching some gun videos and stumble upon the fact that there was a Glock Sport Shooting Foundation match in Dayton. Sign up, shoot my first match (scoring 83.17 and 102.96) and win $100, which I fully admit was more luck than skill as it was on my crappier score.

I shoot another match in July, not winning a damn thing and really being disappointed with two of my scores (102.91 with my 19 and 93.54 with my 21) . I did shoot one additional division and shot a 74.52 (13th out of 101), which was my best at that point.

The range I go to started doing weekly steel shoots, based somewhat on the Steel Challenge but running them one string on each stage per week. Good work on target transitions, and I was actually finishing pretty decently. There was a week or two that I won, but I was almost always in the top few spots, almost entirely using my Glock 34.

One video from that... three stages from one of the matches (this was with my Glock 19)

http://youtu.be/VDwMk0JB7o8

There was one more GSSF match I wanted to get to for the year, in October ( three weeks after that video) . I practiced almost every week at the steel shoots and a few additional times at my house. The match came and I brought my best. I ended up with a 62.38 (G34), 63.41 (19), 67.34 (21), and a 67.72 (with a borrowed 26). It was good enough that I ended up with two first place finishes, one second place, and one fourth place. It's worth noting that my times were actually a bit slower on these than they were before, but my penalties were way, way less. So, two free guns and $100. :surprise:

If you're not familiar with GSSF scoring ---> http://fillyerhands.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/nra-d1-with-gssf-scoring.jpg Time, plus penalties

Then I started looking into USPSA. If GSSF is fun, why not add drawing from a holster, running around, reloading, shooting different stages each time instead of the same thing over and over again, etc?

I went to my first practice match in November of 2013. I really have sort of went full retard into it since then. I've purchased books. I've sold things that have been sitting on the shelf for awhile in favor of stuff I can use for competition. I've spent a lot of time on Youtube, and here on this forum, among others (any other arfcommers?)

I used some Christmas money on some steel targets and will be ordering some IPSC cardboard if it ever warms up. I'm hoping to hit at least one match a year. I was very happy to meet all those that I have so far and how helpful that the crowd overall is. I'm more glad there are so many good shooters I can watch while I'm participating (Bob Vogel showed up a few weeks ago :bow: ).

So, I have joined USPSA but I'm not classified yet. I'll stick with Production division for awhile and see where I go from here. :cheers:

I try to get myself on video so I can watch myself later. A couple videos that I've had so far:

http://youtu.be/HgkUDBhtWJ4 I didn't SHOOT too bad on this but my stage planning was a total failure. Got lost and couldn't keep track of which targets I shot. I didn't hit a no shoot but my penalties were horrible due to fail to engage/misses.

First actual match... five stages.
I was happy with my accuracy, and I really only had one stage I thought was bad.
77 A 1 B 27 C 2 D 1 M

1 NS

Pistol Statistics Power factor: Minor Total possible points: 540 Total points shot: 471 Total penalty points: 20 Pct Points shot (ignoring penalties): 87.22 Pct points shot (counting penalties):

I did a lot better this week.

http://youtu.be/6smltrhSeCs

Pistol Statistics Power factor: Minor Total possible points: 360 Total points shot: 318 Total penalty points: 0 Pct Points shot (ignoring penalties): 88.33 Pct points shot (counting penalties): 88.33

52 A's, 9 B's, 10 C's, 1 D,

And Chris Keen said "good shooting". That was probably my favorite part :devil:

Anyway, thanks for reading and I look forward to updating this thread.

http://youtu.be/o2cDb9xYvN8

Score ended up in the middle of the pack.

I took two misses going for a headshot at 50' rather than using time for the movement forward to shoot it as an open target. Mistake #1

I took a miss while moving backwards on stage 3 to try to save time (although the other 5 shots were pretty good). Mistake #2

Had a no shoot (right in the middle of the head) on one of the close stages. I did make up that shot so I didn't take a miss as well. I also grazed a no shoot on the qualifier (thankfully it was partially in the C zone of the target as well).

Reloads were smoother and I felt like I moved better overall.

I haven't seen the scores yet but I'm pretty happy with tonight.

Weak:

Stage execution... planning was good but there's obviously a couple of hiccups caused by not going to the position I wanted to be in a couple of times.

Strong:

Seemed to speed up my shooting a little, while keeping accuracy. No misses, no no shoots, and no D's, although I did make a couple of them up. The last double tap would have given me a D but I fired one more and hit an A.

http://youtu.be/QH0GBbBbNmM

I did get my new belt and pouches, which I fitted together in the truck on the way to the range. Not the best timing but I was at the mercy of the United States Postal Service. They worked out very well, and I'm sure I'll be happy with them.

I bought this: http://www.benstoegerproshop.com/5-x-Ghost-Magazine-Pouches-Double-Alpha-DAA-Be-p/belt-pouches.htm

Edited by AJE

I believe Miamisburg's classifier match is next Sunday. I can make that one but will be working the following Sunday. I do want to make it to a match at MRPC though.

I did get a little outdoor shooting in today, but it was more function testing and putting rounds through a new gun than actual practice for USPSA.

Edited by AJE

Today I finally got out to do some drills outside. The dry firing is really helping.

The setup is a 1/2 size IPSC steel target (scored with a hit or miss, not in zones on the target)

(I know not ideal but I'd have a mud pit this time of year if I was trying to tape up my target every time).

I only went through 68 rounds through this.

January 12th; 7 yards;

Draws, 2 shots
WST loads (130 PF)
1.67 .20 split = 1.87
1.89 .20 split = 2.09
Power Pistol loads (150 PF)
1.79 w/ .20 split = 1.99
2.03 w/ .23 split = 2.26
1.81 w/ .19 split = 2.00
1.67 w/ .19 split = 1.86
1.71 w/ .20 split = 1.91
Today (didn't spend a whole lot of time on this one, and I was at 10 yards instead of 7)
Doubles
1.32/.31 2 hits
1.30/.28 2 hits
1.29/.27 hit, high center miss
I did several single shots at the 1/2 sized target just drawing from the holster and firing one shot. I was flirting all around the 1.00 mark but never broke it except one time with the .22 slide on. Most of them were around 1.05 to 1.08.
4 aces - 10 yards
time hits - first / split / reload / split
3.90 2/2 - 1.22,.27,2.19,.22
3.71 1/3 - 1.20,.22,2.08,.21
3.92 2/2 - 1.44,.25,2.00,.23
3.84 0/4 - 1.18,.24,2.18,.24
3.45 1/4 - 1.20,.23,1.80,.22
3.53 2/2 - 1.14,.20,1.93,.26
3.52 2/2 - 1.10,.24,1.96,.22
Bill drill 1/12
3.31 (didn't record draw or splits, just total time)
Bill drill 3/8
2.13 - 1.15 draw,.20,.19,.18,.23,.18,
2.16 - 1.18 draw,.20,.19,.19,.19,.21
With my AA .22 kit
2.18 - 1.10 draw, .20,.20,.22,.24,.21
Goals:
1. More consistency in drills (some of it today was at 10 while before it was 7y). It would be better to have it noted the same way (typed into phone)
2. Paper targets instead of dinging steel all the time. (on order)
3. Have it be warmer (hands were freezing by the time we were done)
Edited by AJE

• 2 weeks later...

Classifier match today... managed to get through it with no penalties at all.

I should be in C class by the time the next update is done.

I had one in January, one in February, and then six today. Here are the eight:

99-23 Front Sight HF 6.5617 51.6503% (already on USPSA)
99-22 Nuevo El Presidente 4.0816 40.3086% (already on USPSA)
13-01 Disaster Factor 4.7160 50.4784%
13-08 More Disaster Factor5.1512 55.1366%
13-05 Tick-Tock 6.2100 57.2840%
99-48 Tight Squeeze 5.3360 54.2837%
99-11 El Presidente 4.5506 44.3479%
99-13 Quicky II 5.3799 61.5549%
The last ones were figured with classifiercalc.com
If I knock out the two lowest and average the others I should end up just over 55%.

Ran the "Quick Skills Test" that I found on here.

I did it cold and figured it would be a good test to track progress. Instead of adding up the score IDPA style I just ran it like a USPSA score with a final hit factor of 3.0101. Ended up with a miss on the 10 yard weak hand only and a miss on the 25 yards 2/reload/2. I dropped a lot of points on the early strings so I don't think it will be hard to beat later.

I ran some drills after and had my best 4 aces.... 2.83 total... 1.08 draw, .19 split, 1.35 reload, .19 split... four alphas at 7 yards.

Not too bad... could have been faster without a couple of the makeup shots. On the last string I had it planned to turn, fire the two I had to from the middle, then take five targets on the left, cross while reloading, and the final five on the right. I lost count on the right and though I had not shot all five of them because I jumbled up the order. Thankfully I ran dry, so I knew I had shot all five. I didn't end up with a miss like I did the last time I made that mistake.

I did hit a no shoot but it didn't hurt me too bad since I had made up that shot.

Edited by AJE

Worked on some drills out of Ben's book tonight. I've not practiced transitions as much as I should have so I wanted to set up and practice the "Blake Drill" (Bill Drill spread across three targets, with the same goal times as a Bill Drill).

I of course tanked the first couple but got into a groove pretty well. Most were practiced from 7 yards but I did do a few closer and farther. 5 yards stationary and 3 and 5 yards while moving. I figured the moving would add some time but it really didn't. I went out to 15 on this one.

I did three Bill Drills to start (averaged a little over 2 seconds). As I got warmed up I ended up doing my best with a 1.94 total with 5 alphas and 1 charlie. (Draw 1.02/.19/.20/.17/.19/.17).

I backed up to 10 yards and was a touch under three seconds. 15 yards added about a half second, and 25 another half.

I finished up with two Bill Drills at 50 yards. 5.88 on the first one with one miss... need to adjust my sights a bit because I was throwing right all day (confirmed by a rested group).

The last Bill at 50 yards was six seconds right on the nose... 2.03 draw, .88, .87, .73, .76, .73... 4 alpha 1 bravo 1 charlie.

2014-03-30175819_zps2da7dc34.jpg

I'll admit the Bravo was a lucky miss but I'll take it for now.

Monday Night indoor shoot tomorrow.

Couple of stupid mistakes.... started string 2 with an empty magazine That cost me a few seconds, then lost the order I was going in on string 3 requiring me to do a standing reload and shoot a target out of order. :sick:
Oh well... still better than not going :devil:

Edited by AJE

Clipped a no shoot on the first string then spent a couple extra shots making up the "A". The make ups probably cost me two seconds.

Still, I felt like I sped up OK and hit my usual goal of at least 50 A's (out of 72).

• 4 weeks later...

I did quite a bit of practicing with transitions recently... both to and from hard and easy targets.

IMG_20140421_164834_883_zps3a2fnpcc.jpg

Also some bill drills at long range. This was a bit over six seconds at 50 yards.

2014-04-26143853_zps5307dbef.jpg

The last one of the day I scooted up to 5 yards and burned one at 1.76 seconds with 5 A's and 1 C (first shot). I was happy about that one.

Monday night match. Took a make up shot on what would have been the last shot after plugging the no shoot.

I also hit the moving no shoot and ended up with pass through mike (would have been an A if it hadn't have passed through). I did call that one, so I guess it was better than it being a surprise.

Edited by AJE

Well, I was happy to go into the state match as a C... but I shot two classifiers today.

Fluffy's Revenge 1

Based on HF entered, we calculate your "National Percentage" will be: 69.2612%

Steely Speed VII

Based on HF entered, we calculate your "National Percentage" will be: 73.1396%

I wonder if that will bump me up to B. I was at 57%.

I'm not worried about it, I'm happy to post better scores than I did before, just funny timing.

Edited by AJE

Easy enough to figure out. Just go to your stats at uspsa.org. According to what I see you should be at 61.78% if they include the 73% since it is over 15% above your average. I imagine they will.

Probably not the best time to move up but I am always looking to move up.

Did some practicing with some old drills and one new one.

I hadn't done much practice with partial targets so I looked for a good classifier to try out... Diamond Cutter 09-02. Set it up and ran through it a few times, trying to speed up, trying to slow down and get hits, and mostly just shooting for a good score. For some reason I found that if I did hit a no shoot it was almost always on the last target. Not quite sure why, but it was interesting.

I also did some bill and four aces drills at 7 yards. My times were improved over the previous times, but better yet, my hits were almost all A's. If I did drop a C it was almost always only one and it wasn't far out of the A zone. So I was really happy with that.

• 2 weeks later...

First actual big match under my belt now. Looks like 15th out of 70 in Production, 4th place B shooter.

And, I borrowed a head mounted camera. I still can't believe how good the sound is from it.

I won't get a chance to edit these into one video for a few days but here are a couple of the stages.

First of the morning... "Hoser Stage Right"

http://youtu.be/l8YPFI5p7gc

21 A's 8 C's and one D in 18.92.

"Escape from Alcatraz"

http://youtu.be/J4rN3tBpKH0

7th place, 24 A's and 5 C's, but I had a couple of make up shots. 25.55 seconds

"When I was Your Age... I Can't Remember"

http://youtu.be/b8j32Q0C44I

Despite shooting one target again (the last target had four holes in it because I got it from both sides) I did finish 7th on it as well. 16 A's, 6 C's, in 14.23. I would have been much better than 7th if I hadn't have shot the same target again.

It was fun and I didn't do anything to make myself look stupid... now I need to practice my transitions so my videos don't look so slow :devil:

Edited by AJE

http://youtu.be/b8j32Q0C44I

Despite shooting one target again (the last target had four holes in it because I got it from both sides) I did finish 7th on it as well. 16 A's, 6 C's, in 14.23. I would have been much better than 7th if I hadn't have shot the same target again.

It was fun and I didn't do anything to make myself look stupid... now I need to practice my transitions so my videos don't look so slow :devil:

And I'll go ahead and post the worst.... now, I'm happy about a few things.

1. I made a plan and executed exactly what I wanted to do.

2. I had good hits, save for the moving targets.

3. The plan was good until I got down the the moving targets.... and had three mikes, a delta, and two no shoots. Shit!

So.... I normally play it safe instead of aggressive... looks like I should keep doing that.

24 A's, 4 C's........... and as said before, 1 D, 3 M, and 2 NS :closedeyes:

http://youtu.be/rA7hkoS5WAE

Edited by AJE

Nice shooting! We will run the mover again this summer at MRPC. Might even leave it set up after the match and let guys shoot it a few extra times for a donation to the match.

YOU WILL SEE THIS EVERY YEAR I WORK OHIO so you might as well learn to shoot it. Next year will have much smaller ports to shoot through at rest, the targets will be closer and faster. Yes, I am already planning the stage!

On this stage were you only allowed to start with 10? I noticed a slide lock reload after shooting the first target array. If you would have loaded a barney and then 10 in the mag you wouldn't have had that slide lock reload.