Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

AJE's thread

AJE

No, I could have started with 11 but didn't. I didn't know I was next and instead of getting ready I was pasting targets. That only happened once!

What bothers me on that one is despite the 1) the slide lock load, and 2) shooting the last target twice, I still finished 7th. If I had three less seconds on there it would have been a smoking time.

Nice shooting! We will run the mover again this summer at MRPC. Might even leave it set up after the match and let guys shoot it a few extra times for a donation to the match.

YOU WILL SEE THIS EVERY YEAR I WORK OHIO so you might as well learn to shoot it. Next year will have much smaller ports to shoot through at rest, the targets will be closer and faster. Yes, I am already planning the stage!

I will make it to at least one match at MRPC this year. I always watch whatever videos people put on Youtube and they always look fun. I will be donating to throw some shots at it.

I watch Alex Gutt's video and it looked like he had essentially the same plan I did, only he hit the damn thing :devil:

No, I could have started with 11 but didn't. I didn't know I was next and instead of getting ready I was pasting targets. That only happened once!

What bothers me on that one is despite the 1) the slide lock load, and 2) shooting the last target twice, I still finished 7th. If I had three less seconds on there it would have been a smoking time.

Chalk it up to a learning experience I 'spose.

AJE

From what I saw at the match there were several shooters(at least a few on every squad) who thought pasting a target was beneath them. Never, ever, paste targets or do any other chore when you are on deck at a major match. Sometimes at locals, we might have a short squad so it gets a little tougher but even then we usually have a way to work it out so the on deck shooter is free.

Actually, the time to get your mags right is after you shoot a stage. Focus on your gear until you are happy and then go back to helping.

But I agree that you should chalk this one up to a learning experience.

It was the second stage we shot and I didn't know the order yet, so when I was told it was my turn I was caught off guard. Learning experience it is!

• 3 weeks later...

Inching my way higher.

Classifier 99-08 (Melody Line) should be an 84% today. And I felt like it was slow when I finished.

Edited by AJE

Match video from today.

Other than somehow putting a shot directly in the middle of the one inch wide hard cover on the first stage, it went smooth from there.

I think right now I need to keep working on improving my transition time and quit flipping the gun around so much when reloading.

Edited by AJE

• 4 weeks later...

I've been dry firing my ass off lately. I did some live fire practice the other day and was decently consistent of hitting 1.1x reloads on "Four Aces". My accuracy was suffering a little bit but I was still on the target at 10 yards. Way, way better than before.

• 2 weeks later...

Shot a local match today... not sure how many Production shooters there were (or how I finished) but I was happy with several things.

1. I didn't take a single make up shot over all five stages

2. No penalties, only a couple of deltas that I remember

3. I felt like I moved OK, and I had one 29 round stage that I only dropped two C's on... and at the end of it Chris Keen told me it looked like a smooth run, so that's a good boost of confidence (video below)

4. Shot what should be about a 70% on the classifer, which should bump me up a couple of points but not as much as I was hoping for. Should take me to 73% and change.

I've been listening to Steve Anderson's podcasts quite a bit and tried to keep in mind... "just shoot to the best of your abilities". Other than thinking "I could/should have been a little faster" at certain times, I think I did so.

Videos are uploading so I guess I'll see how smooth it really was while watching them.

http://youtu.be/ZGouYxKTP9w

Edited by AJE

• 2 weeks later...

I've only been able to get dry fire practice in since my last match until today... I can tell I'm continuing to improve with it. I tried 6 reload 6 reload 6 for the first time today and nailed it a 6.08 seconds on the first try. The hits weren't the best but there were 18 holes in the target :devil:

I was also getting a lot more consistent on the 1.1x reloads.

• 2 weeks later...

In the combined results, I took fifth overall out of 38 (showed sixth but I think there was an error on one of the scores) on the stage in the video. The other field course I took third, only being beaten by an open GM and Limited Master. Very happy with that!

I should be able to get to another match this weekend and I'll be hitting the dry fire again tonight.

Edited by AJE

Match from this weekend

I didn't feel quite as smooth on this one as I did the match last weekend. I threw an alpha/mike/no shoot on the first array and couldn't shake it from my head the rest of the match. I made up at least one shot on the rest of the stages through the day, all but maybe one of which I didn't need to. Still, I finished fourth overall on the combined results behind two GMs in open, so I'm not disappointed by any means, but I know I could have done better. I did well enough I still managed to win Production out of 34 people, so I'm still very happy.

Now... time for more dry fire!

I've been dry firing quite a bit the last couple weeks.

I did some live fire drills today... I didn't have a whole lot of time so I worked on "Frank Garcia's Dots" and "4 Aces".

I KILLED my previous times on 4 aces. I wish I would have written down the particulars. The last time I live fired it I was doing my best with a sub second draw and 1.1x reloads, most around 1.2 if I didn't flub them.

I had several today with the first shot under .90 and a few of the reloads under a second.

This was the best of the day, and I nearly shat myself:

2014-09-03223947_zpsab43afbe.jpg

.94 draw and .91 reload. (The date was never set, so ignore that). The last split was a .16 I think, total time 2.19.

• 1 month later...

I've been slacking on updating this thing.

Shot a GSSF match over the weekend and should have finished well enough to win my next gun, a gen 4 Glock 35.

The plates started off sloppy but came around...

• 1 month later...