Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Visual patience

benos

I know this has been said, but I thought it might bear repeating. You know, it is actually faster (more efficient) to imagine in your mind exactly what you want/need to see, and then make yourself see it. (As opposed to just randomly blasting at the some part of the target.) I mean, you can find the center of the target, SEE the gun/sights stop, or hesitate, call the shot, find the precise center of the next target, and so on. The gun moves quicker from shot to shot, and target to target, because of this thing called "knowing." Knowing is the result of awareness, and awareness comes out as a result of a precise plan, a firm conviction to execute the plan, the confidence resulting from erasing doubt, and the will to allow your confident plan to manifest, no matter how long it seems like it’s taking. Under stress, the emotional feeling of passing time should not  be trusted. Generate the will to be visually patient – allow your precise plan to manifest. Done correctly, instantly - time evaporates – your body will freely express the training it has undergone. Not done - the concept of time will confuse you.

be

This is probably the toughest thing to realize. I see time as a variable, not an absolute. Its how you see time that counts. If you believe that 1.00 second is a fast draw, it limits your ability to go faster. If you believe that .16 is the fastest split you are capable of, that may be the best you will do..only because you see that as your limit of what can be done. Theres alot going on during a reload, so its easy to think that its tough to do in under a second, if you don't think thats the limit, or even consider time as a factor, its amazing how fast you can truly go.

How many times have you finished a stage and thought man that was slow, then found out that it was really pretty fast? Don't trust your perception of time. Just act, without any thought of times passing.

Pat

• 1 year later...

Out at the range today I noticed that while shooting at further distances (15 - 25 yards) my visual patience had degraded to the point of throwing mikes. I noticed that a lot of times when the shot broke my sight was off too much in one direction. I felt almost as if I'd somehow pushed myself into a cadence. Unfortulantly by the time I realized this, I was out of rounds and couldn't explore it further.  My first thought besides accidentally developing a cadence was that I was rushing, but I'm not so sure now.

I was also having the problem of my sight tracking fairly erraticaly. I think I'm having a problem establishing a solid neutral grip. I know dry firing is a good way to work through this, but I always end up reverting to introducing tension on either side of the gun when in live fire practice.

Any suggestions?

Jake,

When I bought my first auto, having always been a revolver shooter, I demoted myself to beginner and abandoned competition for a while to accustomise myself to the new gun. I found dryfire with the auto to be less productive than with the revolver and gained more improvement by concentrating on shooting six shot groups at 25 yards. I started slow, trying to put all shots into our (Service Pistol) 10 ring (4"wide, 6" high) and gradually let my speed improve to 6 seconds. I gained a great deal from Brian's visualisation of the pistol "floating" with the hands equally on each side. I found that this visualisation helped me to relax more and to let the gun return to it's original position without "interference" from me. I've actually now altered my grip on my revolvers too and become more consistent with them as well. Hope these experiences might help you.

George

George,

I know where your'e coming from and it's probably a good idea. I think it's time to brush up a bit on the book again.

Steve,

I agree 110% with you, unfortulantly I can barely afford ammo right now. New sights are definetely in the top 3 on the list though.

Stalion,

For me this problem would usually just be the result of shooting toooooo many targets and stages with "easy" targets, which basically builds and reinforces bad (or no) fundamentals and technique. We just get sloppy over time because we "get away" with it.

be

For the Glock definately look into replacement sights.  I really like the Heinie Slant Pro's with an opened rear notch  aka Custom Glock Racing's Race Cut sights.  The new Dawson Precision adjustables look really nice, and there are some that are sold on the Novaks as well.  Just about anything is better than the stock "brick" front sight.  In my experience getting rid of the stock sights and doing at least a simple trigger job are the best ways to improve your long distance shooting with a Glock.