Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Back-up gun clean or not?

dave79

Guys, do you keep your backup gun completly clean, or do you shoot it befor having it in spare.

I never shoot my backup, just have it for when my main breaks down.

(sorry for the bad english, iam from holland)

Wait. You say you are from Holland but your signature line says you are from the Netherlands! So which one is it??? :goof::roflol:

I can't afford a backup so I don't have one. But I never take my primary (only) gun to a big match clean. If I tear it down, especially all the way down, I always try to shoot a local match or 50-100 rounds through it before taking it to a big match. Stands to reason I would do the same for a backup. I may take the top end off and wipe it down but I would not take a recently cleaned untested gun to a major as a backup.

Someday my primary gun now will be my backup and that's how I'll do it.

The Netherland and holland is the same buddy. ;)

This is for 2 jears now my way to go.

So for 2 jears my backup would be dirty (only shot that 50 round your talking about) and for the rest just sitting in my rangbag, this cant be good for the gun, thats why i ask.

Holland is part of the Netherlands. Think of it like a state or county.

And yes, shoot it before trusting it as a back up.

Never take a clean gun to a match.

eta: A slightly dirty gun will not be harmed, just keep it lubricated to prevent rust.

Edited by a.roberts

The Netherland and holland is the same buddy. ;)

That was my attempt at humor! It would not have been funny if I had acknowledged they were the same before making the joke.

I did the Nijmegen march once back in the 80's with my Infantry Battalion. Beautiful country but I hurt so bad I hated it! :roflol: .

Yes that sounds about right. If your normal match prep involves a complete tear down of the frame and slide, I'd do that for both guns a month or two before the major. If anything needs replacing like a cracked thumb safety (happened to me), cracked firing pin stop, etc. which is found on a complete teardown that can be addressed with some time to spare. Take it out for a practice session or local match after the complete tear down, do a field strip/clean/lube after and call it good.