Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Fitting tungston guide rods question

lucas

My spring is not to long. The spring seems to not be to tight sliding over the guide, but yet after the first shot the slide barely retracts and locks up the gun making it a bitch to dislodge. What is the trick? I thought they we're a drop in part.

The guide rod head has a round section at the very rear. S_I require a smaller diameter in this area than traditional 1911's. Do you have a 2011 frame style? Even if not check that the guide rod head fits square against the frame.

I Ross, I am still very happy with my STI 45,W/ alloy short railed dust cover frame, you built for me. The gun in question is another STI in 40 cal. If it matters the tungston guide is from Brazos and I tried my original reverse plug and one from Dawson to no avail. The Brazos head is much larger than my original guide rod. I can not tell if it fits square against the frame. Does anyone offer a tungston guide rod with the smaller head assuming the head diamiter is the problem?

The guide rod head has a round section at the very rear. S_I require a smaller diameter in this area than traditional 1911's. Do you have a 2011 frame style? Even if not check that the guide rod head fits square against the frame.

I Ross, I am still very happy with my STI 45,W/ alloy short railed dust cover frame, you built for me. The gun in question is another STI in 40 cal. If it matters the tungston guide is from Brazos and I tried my original reverse plug and one from Dawson to no avail. The Brazos head is much larger than my original guide rod. I can not tell if it fits square against the frame. Does anyone offer a tungston guide rod with the smaller head assuming the head diamiter is the problem?

It's and easy job on a lathe to turn it down if it is too large in diameter. With the gun unloaded and the slide off, take the bare guide rod and see if you can seat it against the frame where it would be when the gun is toghether. That is one way of telling if it fits or not. Glad the 45 is still doing good for you.

Yes EGW offers one

I'm a day late and a dollar short apparently. Because STI is now cutting the frame to use regular 1911 guides, I don't thing EGW will be making the tunston rod with the smaller head any longer from what I have read.

Yes EGW offers one

I'm a day late and a dollar short apparently. Because STI is now cutting the frame to use regular 1911 guides, I don't thing EGW will be making the tunston rod with the smaller head any longer from what I have read.

It would be foolish for them to do that , STI is not the only frame manufacturer out there plus all the ones that are out there now.

You asked who made one, I told you