Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Adams Arms COR rifle

PSSOH22

Hey guys,

I know there are tons of on going convo's on what rifle is the best for competition. I live in the OH area so its slim pickens on 3G matches. My plan was to get started in USCA and some ACTS matches this year to get more proficient with the rifle before making the plunge into traveling South and West to hit some 3G matches next season.

The AA COR is extremely new and some might not have specs on it so far. I was at SHOT a few weeks ago and at media day on the range, I shot just about every marketed "3Gun" rifle there was! The AA was hands down the softest rifle I have ever shot PERIOD. I have had experience with a good amount of more "defensive" AR's prior and I had never found one similar that was as manageable as my KAC SR15 w/ Triple tap break. After shooting the 18" "3G" Colts, Stags, Bushmaster, etc, the AA was lighter and softer. The thing that I do not get is everything that I have ever seen marketed as a 3G rifle was a 18" gun, whereas the AA is a 16". Basically they are using low mass bolt carrier, buffers, i "think" intermediate gas system.

My question is, even though I am just getting started, I want to make a purchase that will suit me for the foreseeable future and the progression of my skill. Do you guys think that this has that capability? The only difference I personally see is the lack of 2" of barrel, but you guys that are more experienced may see other things I'm missing.

Congratulations on getting a great chance ot try many different rifles. Glad you had that opportunity!!

With regards to the rifle in question...........You mean the 16.5" piston gun here? http://www.adamsarms.net/16-cor-ultra-lite-rifle

Interesting that it is a 16.5" barrel with a rifle-length gas system. That length system is the reason lots of us use 18" direct impingement gas system guns (myself included). The goal is to reduce recoil impulse by accessing barrel gasses farther down the barrel from the chamber and thus, at a reduced pressure compared to earlier in the barrel.

Interesting trick by AA to have a 16.5" barrel with rifle gas. I wonder if they have a larger gas port than most others or if that carrier is even lighter than a JP Low Mass Operating System BCG.

The part selection seems ok to me. Nothing seems missing to me. If someone stuck it in my hands I'd pop my Vortex 1-4x scope on top with a Warne Skeleton mount and be done. Add an offset red dot if I wanted to shoot Open with it, like I normally do. But many others here have much more experience than I do.....no doubt! Should be interesting to read their comments.

Yes that was the rifle in question. it weighed around 7.5 lbs and is a piston gun. I am not sure if the BCG is lower mass than the JP, but the damn thing was definitely light as hell for sure!

I guess the only other thing that I really saw that it is missing besides the 2" of barrel is most of the other people I'm seeing are using stainless barrels. Is that for accuracy purpose or weight?

That's light, certainly. :-) I tend to like lighter rifles myself.

Stainless is used mostly for accuracy, from what I know. Often unlined barrels. However, many chome-moly alloy steel barrels are chrome lined for durability/maintainability. The lining process can be uneven and have a negative impact on accuracy. That isn't always true (my Criterion barrel is one example of chome lining with high accuracy) but mil-spec barrels can have that. It isn't combat relevant, I suppose.

The 1.5 extra inches that I have (along with many others) is to get a reliable rifle-length gas system instead of a "mid-length" gas tube. 18" is the common length for that. 16.5" barrel with rifle length gas is unusual, from what I know.

Unless someone comes along with serious reservations, it seems like you may have found "your rifle" since you had the chance to try so many. I never had that luxury before my first purchase.

Let's see if you attract any other comments, questions, or concerns.

Meanwhile:

• Within which division do you plan to shoot?
  • Do you have any ideas on the longest rifle target distances in your planned matches?
  • What is your optics budget?

Because it is a piston gun, it does not need the extra dwell time beyond the port to the end of the shorter barrel.

I shot it too and I did not find it so soft shooting.

Be that as it may, we have lots of different guns for lots of different shooters, and that is good!

Because it is a piston gun, it does not need the extra dwell time beyond the port to the end of the shorter barrel.

Be that as it may, we have lots of different guns for lots of different shooters, and that is good!

And I learned something new today about piston systems. Thank you!

That's light, certainly. :-) I tend to like lighter rifles myself.

Stainless is used mostly for accuracy, from what I know. Often unlined barrels. However, many chome-moly alloy steel barrels are chrome lined for durability/maintainability. The lining process can be uneven and have a negative impact on accuracy. That isn't always true (my Criterion barrel is one example of chome lining with high accuracy) but mil-spec barrels can have that. It isn't combat relevant, I suppose.

The 1.5 extra inches that I have (along with many others) is to get a reliable rifle-length gas system instead of a "mid-length" gas tube. 18" is the common length for that. 16.5" barrel with rifle length gas is unusual, from what I know.

Unless someone comes along with serious reservations, it seems like you may have found "your rifle" since you had the chance to try so many. I never had that luxury before my first purchase.

Let's see if you attract any other comments, questions, or concerns.

Meanwhile:

• Within which division do you plan to shoot?
  • Do you have any ideas on the longest rifle target distances in your planned matches?
  • What is your optics budget?

Thank you for your response. I suspect anything I shoot locally to not be much past 100 if at all, but goal is to travel south and west after I become more proficient to compete so I want to make sure the rifle I buy will serve me in any scenario. I'm planning on tac optics for the time being. I'm a big 1911 guy in handgun comp so I'd love to shoot it as well and I have the benelli supernova but getting into launching tons of .308 down range at the current moment would not be feasible for me. I am up in the air with optics. I think I will settle on the vortex razor w Jm reticle. I work in the industry so I can get industry deals through Swarovski and some others and can do mil discount through leupold, but being that I'm new to scoped rifle shooting I think the vortex will serve me well. I've looked at the mtac and bushnell cheapos. I liked the reticle in the bushnell the best didn't care for the mtac but the eyebox on the vortex seemed a lot more forgiving

Patrick,

I definitely value your opinion. It is much more informed than mine. I have only shot "battle rifles" up to this point and it was the softest gun I was able to play with there. I would greatly appreciate your input to some options you may like better since you have a lot more rounds down range with this style of AR. like I mentioned previously, I want to make one purchase and be covered for anything that is thrown at me down the road.

I think you will be well served by the AA COR rifle. It was pleasant to shoot, IMHO just not in the same class as a JP or Seekins Precision purpose built 3Gun stick.

For near $2K I think lots of options are on the table. But again, it was a neat rifle and one that will see some time in events.

How well it does is far more a factor in who is at the controls than the attributes of the rifle itself.

Patrick,

Thanks for the input. I will look into some others as well though considering that a JP is not really much more money than the AA's. And I definitely agree with your comment about it being more about the person behind the gun then the gun itself

Jesse,

They brought a couple of COR's to Buds, and they were shot next to TTI Gi gun and other very good GI guns, and COR shot softer, and flatter... The thing now is to see if they are durable and indestructible as the great DI guns... Reliability has always been an issue with piston guns

Edited by Headworked