Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

dry fire computer program

Nebwake

I was at my local gun show over the weekend and a local (NE) company was showing a software program they sell to use with the SIRT pistols. It was pretty cool and they even had a full size "roundabout" course set up. I ran thorough it but was distracted by the green laser from the SIRT pistol. If they could figure out an infrared laser for the SIRT that would be AWESOME for this program. Anyway, it records your shots, par times, and can call targets, ect. Pretty cool training tool. Has anyone used this program before? it seems like it would be awesome, but after the SIRT price and the software price, that's quite a few bullets, plus SIRT doesn't have a 1911...

http://www.mwts-training.com/LASR

OMG....got this program and found more in 5 minutes than I have in years. Using reduced scale targets, already have a webcam, have the SIRT. Saw - actually saw - the mistakes I make weak handed. Unbelievable. Auditory and visual feedback, ability to delineate a target area, par times, random starts. I watched my draw to first shot times drop, watched my splits and transitions drop. Granted, no recoil to manage, but a real confidence booster.

I spent half as much for a single target that was supposed to pick up laser light that never worked. This software is amazing, absolutely amazing.

Yea I was pretty impressed as well, What really was cool was that on the steel challenge course they set up at the display, the computer gave you a muzzle report, plus a resounding clang when you hit the steel. There was no perceivable lag either. It was really cool. I think I need to convince the wife to let me pick one up, problem though is that I run a mac, so I'd have to do parallels, which I have, but I am running windows XP on it that is about to meet its end of support life... So I may have to upgrade to a copy of 7 I suppose. Also if you are LE/MIL they give you a pretty nice discount, even more they said if you do a group buy.

Very impressive, with lots of features.

For me, not being able to define an IPSC target is a spoiler though. If the author could add polygon shapes to the program, I`d seriously consider spending $120. BTW, the GitHub program (discussed in BE forums previously) can do that, and it is free.

Did it work OK in regular room lighting? Or did they need to shade the targets a little from ambient light?

On the green laser distracting you, you can adjust it so it 'Hits' just below what you see with your sight, so at least the dominant eye won't see the laser flash.

IR would be cool and probably possible depending on the type of camera and lense it has (and developer adding support). You wouldn't be able to do on current iPhone camera, for example, because they added a IR filter I think around iPhone 4. And I don't know of any retail IR snap caps to buy, but I assume they have are available for high end training.

@ trgt. The lighting was pretty good. It was set up in a large event center while the gun show was going on. I would say it was probably as bright as any room in my house. They were using the green laser guns primarily, but the system did register hits no problem with the lower cost red laser gun as well. And I hear you on the IR laser, the camera would likely cost a bit more although, you might be able to hack open the case and manually remove the IR cut filter on some cameras. If you only planned on using the camera for the SIRT pistols, correct daytime color shouldn't really matter.

I am running it in a back bedroom, reduced size targets with your basic fan kit lighting. Laser reads fine. If I ride the trigger and do not release it it will pick up the continual beam as shots fired. Nice feedback for trigger release/freeze.

Running bill drills today. Rather fun,

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

What computer configuration (PC & web cam) has worked for you with the software (L.A.S.R.)?

Also, has anyone tried either of the 2 free versions that I found on the net: ShootOFF or hit Analyzer ?