Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

resetting 2011 dry-fire trigger

eric nielsen

Far as I know it's mostly police departments that buy that thing - $2K and w/ the compressed air set it looks like the back of a scuba shop.

Some years ago there was a female shooter (from Canada?) who won the World Shoot or USPSA nationals Ladies title; she trained with one of those adapted to a widebody 1911 open gun. I figure with some people spending $35K a year pushing to win the Nationals, it might be a justifiable investment. Or a fun toy for people w/more money than skill...

thanks trgt. I have heard mixed reviews on this resetting trigger. Have you used it? Its probably not that critical as long as you have the right mix of dry and live fire practice. My challenge is that most live fire is either in a match or at an indoor range in a shooting stall.....so transitions are tough to practice

I haven't used it, no. For just a few more dollars I could get a SIRT pistol with resetting trigger, so went that way last year for Glock dry fire. This year shooting CZ so just doing double action with laser snap cap, for now...

Okay today I play with my CZ's and find that the standard Shadow with the long take-up and reset does have some amount of training-trigger effect when holding the hammer full back and the slide forward. Like before, this effect is not there with the slide locked back. Something about how the disconnector works I guess. If you have a CZ or Tanfo gun you may want to try taping the hammer back.

On mine there's a two-stage dry-fire pull that "breaks" a little further back then the real pull and doesn't reset as far forward either. The pull weight is about 1 lb less than the SA break on that gun. My Shadow Custom with the short-reset trigger system has no training-trigger effect at all, neither does my ancient Tanfo SA-only gun.

Anyway in Production you would still want to mix in tons of DA pull practice but this might be worth a try. Not as realistic as either of my STI guns w/the trigger taped back but something I will use on the standard Shadow. Saves on the return spring at least.

• 1 month later...

Interesting trick. What dort of weight difference does this create? I feel a bit more "crunch" and a tiny amount more weight but my trigger is sub 2.5 lb anyhow so I really feel more travel than weight anyhow. I'll try it and see if I like it.

Seems like a good quality airsoft replica would give you the resetting trigger and a tiny amount of simulated recoil and a slide that moves, unlike the SIRT at 1/10 the price of the big compressed air thing.

I used to occasionally use an airsoft for dry fire practice. It works really well except for the fact that the escaping gas quickly cools the reservoir to the extent that it becomes too cold to function. Even with one spare magazine I couldn't go that long before having to take a break to let the magazines heat up again. I have read that some put the mags down on a heating pad in between uses to get them functional faster.

Thanks, I didn't know about the CO2 cartridge cooling. I bought the Grauffel model Tanfogio Limited Airsoft, fits perfectly into my CZ Shadow's holster. Bought a 2nd mag so now at least I can run them back-back until they peter out from the cooling. I find it's a little loud and scares the dogs so mostly use it in a central closed room like the master bedroom walk-in closet. The trigger is mushy because of the parts but still needs to be reset and prepped - it's pretty good for practicing transitions while working the trigger and tracking the sights.