Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA SSP Glock 34 gen 4 ... Which SS guide rod ?

Gcarr

I ordered part # G4SS17CS with a 13# spring for $2 more. This is a one piece stainless steel captured rod. I hope that it is legal !!!

This should be fine for IDPA. SS is OK for SSP and it has a captured guide rod with no separate bushing.

The 13lb spring is pretty light for a gun set up for SSP. Let me know your ammo specs and how it runs. I run atlanta arms match grade 147gr low PF ammo with a stock recoil spring assembly and have no problems in my g17 gen4..

A 13lb spring might be needed if you had a compensator.

If you examine the Gen 4 guide rod while there is a steel sleeve in the Gen 4, the actual rod is polymer. Therefore the correct choice for IDPA SSP is the polymer one, any other material would bump you into ESP.

This is what I have concluded after questioning at our local IDPA SO rules clinics on various forums and consulting with Jager.

Above is incorrect. You no longer need to have polymer guide rod in Glocks to stay in SSP

1) The new IDPA rule book specifically allows recoil rods of any material not heavier than stainless steel in SSP.

Under permitted modifications for SSP

8.2.1.3.4. Recoil spring guide rods and dual spring recoil systems made of material that is no heavier than stainless steel

2) What would bump you to ESP (in a Glock for example) is a sleeve or bushing in the slide to accept a different type of recoil spring assembly or rod. This violates 2 rules for SSP.

Under SSP excluded modifications

8.2.1.4.1. Externally visible modifications other than those listed in the Permitted Modifications section.

8.2.1.4.5. Slide inserts to accommodate a different recoil assembly design.

Thanks for the clarification

I ordered part # G4SS17CS with a 13# spring for $2 more. This is a one piece stainless steel captured rod. I hope that it is legal !!!

This should be fine for IDPA. SS is OK for SSP and it has a captured guide rod with no separate bushing.

The 13lb spring is pretty light for a gun set up for SSP. Let me know your ammo specs and how it runs. I run atlanta arms match grade 147gr low PF ammo with a stock recoil spring assembly and have no problems in my g17 gen4..

A 13lb spring might be needed if you had a compensator.

Well I had to go out of town (a work thing) before the guide rod came in. But it is waiting on me... I really look forward to shooting with it to see how it does. I or I should say we (bc two of us will be shooting the same load) will be starting with 125gr around 130pf. I will let you know how it does.

Well I had to go out of town (a work thing) before the guide rod came in. But it is waiting on me... I really look forward to shooting with it to see how it does.

Sjz - My partnor (gard72977) and I will be shooting the same reloads... We are going to load 125gn (he currently has a 125gn mold) somewhere around 1050fps. He is the master reloader as I will never know as I will never know as much about reloading... But don't tell him that. We are currently looking at barrels and chamber sizes. We do plan do plan to try other loads... But already have the 125 mold. I will post results.

• 1 month later...

Get a zev ss guide rod and a 13lbs ismi spring and a adapter ring if a gen4. I run them in all my Glocks gen3 and gen4 with no problems. The double springs that come in the gen4 is junk do yourself a favor and stay away from that style of recoil assembly.

Does anybody know if you can run the ZEV captured in the gen 4?